How do I add placeholder text in a document?

Old August 30th 05, 03:35 PM
Melissa

Default How do I add placeholder text in a document?

I am trying to create a letter template using placeholders so that a person
can use the tab key to move from field to field and add in information. Can
anyone help me do this??
Old August 30th 05, 07:08 PM
Klaus Linke

"Melissa" wrote:
I am trying to create a letter template using placeholders so that
a person can use the tab key to move from field to field and add
in information. Can anyone help me do this??

Hi Melissa,

Most people use MacroButton fields for placeholder text like this. You can
look at the letter templates that come with Word to see examples.

If moving with the tab key is a requirement, you'd need to use a cleverly
built table with one cell for each placeholder text, though, or use the
Forms toolbar and protect the document for forms.

Regards,
Klaus

Old August 30th 05, 09:22 PM
Charles Kenyon

Use a macrobutton field and the F11 key to move to the next field. See
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields.

Else, if you really need to use the tab key, the alternative is what Word
calls an "online form." Check this in help. For more about online forms,
follow the links at http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Old April 18th 07, 04:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BLC

Insert - Field (opens a box): under "field" choose Macrobutton; under
"properties" choose DoFieldClick; in "display text", type in the text you
want in the placeholder.