Subtract formula

Old September 8th 05, 07:22 PM
Candace

Default Subtract formula

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)", but how
do I subtract one field from another?
Old September 8th 05, 08:17 PM
Jean-Guy Marcil

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

I know that the formula for adding fields is such as "sum(c23,c24)",
but how do I subtract one field from another?

You can use SUM to add the negative of the second number:

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}

Or, without SUM:

{=(C23-C24)}

!!!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Old September 9th 05, 01:24 PM
Candace

I'm receiving syntax errors when I try to use the formula {=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}
What could I be doing wrong? Is there a microsoft article I can refer to for
more information on subtracting in Word tables?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

Old September 9th 05, 02:30 PM
Candace

Never-mind. It worked fine when I used your {=(C23-C24)} suggestion, but
without the braces. Thanks so much!!!

"Candace" wrote:

I'm receiving syntax errors when I try to use the formula {=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}
What could I be doing wrong? Is there a microsoft article I can refer to for
more information on subtracting in Word tables?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

Old September 9th 05, 04:54 PM

When you enter a formula in the Table | Formula dialog, you don't need the
braces. Jean-Guy was quoting the field as a field, assuming you would be
constructing it by hand (using Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters, which
are represented by the braces).

"Candace" wrote:

I'm receiving syntax errors when I try to use the formula

{=SUM(C23,{=(-C24)})}
What could I be doing wrong? Is there a microsoft article I can refer to

for
more information on subtracting in Word tables?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

Candace was telling us:
Candace nous racontait que :

Old September 9th 05, 05:56 PM
Jean-Guy Marcil

Suzanne S. Barnhill was telling us:
Suzanne S. Barnhill nous racontait que :

When you enter a formula in the Table | Formula dialog, you don't
need the braces. Jean-Guy was quoting the field as a field, assuming
you would be constructing it by hand (using Ctrl+F9 to insert the
field delimiters, which are represented by the braces).

My bad!

I should have been more explicit!

Thanks.

--