Music Symbol Font

Old September 9th 05, 03:51 AM
Goldtop LesPaul

Default Music Symbol Font

I'm quite flabbergasted to discover that I can't put a musical sharp or flat
symbol in Word 2003. With the Word Perfect program that came on this Dell
computer I found them within seconds by Insert | Symbol | Iconic Symbols.
With this Word program I'm been trying to find them or even help to find them
for well over an hour. Can anyone help?
Old September 9th 05, 04:06 AM

Flat, natural, and sharp signs can be found at 266D, 266E, and 266F of Arial
Unicode MS (in the Miscellaneous Dingbats character subset). Don't ask me
why the font designer thought it was more important to have "eighth note"
and "beamed eighth notes" in basic Unicode fonts than to include these, but
there you have it. Arial Unicode MS is a VERY large font and is not
installed by default but should be on your Windows CD.

"Goldtop LesPaul" Goldtop wrote in
message news

Old September 9th 05, 05:02 AM
Bruce Rusk

Tahoma -- which should be installed by default -- also has them.

"Goldtop LesPaul" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Flat, natural, and sharp signs can be found at 266D, 266E, and 266F of
Arial
Unicode MS (in the Miscellaneous Dingbats character subset). Don't ask me
why the font designer thought it was more important to have "eighth note"
and "beamed eighth notes" in basic Unicode fonts than to include these,
but
there you have it. Arial Unicode MS is a VERY large font and is not
installed by default but should be on your Windows CD.

so
all may benefit.

Old September 9th 05, 05:06 AM
Bruce Rusk

PS -- I think the reason these were included is that they appeared as
special control characters (along with the 4 card suits) in certain systems
way back when. That's a guess but I vaguely recall seeing them appear on
mainframe-connected terminals....

"Goldtop LesPaul" wrote in
message ...

Old September 9th 05, 05:11 PM

It seems to have the sharp but not the flat or natural. But thanks for the
additional info.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Flat, natural, and sharp signs can be found at 266D, 266E, and 266F of
Arial
Unicode MS (in the Miscellaneous Dingbats character subset). Don't ask

me
why the font designer thought it was more important to have "eighth

note"
and "beamed eighth notes" in basic Unicode fonts than to include these,
but
there you have it. Arial Unicode MS is a VERY large font and is not
installed by default but should be on your Windows CD.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Goldtop LesPaul" Goldtop wrote in
message news I'm quite flabbergasted to discover that I can't put a musical sharp

Old September 9th 05, 05:15 PM

See "Description of the Arial Unicode MS font in Word 2002" at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q287247/. Note that you have to scroll down
a screen to see any useful content. The article gives installation
instructions for Office XP. Installing it in Office 2003 should be similar.

"Goldtop LesPaul" wrote in
message ...

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Flat, natural, and sharp signs can be found at 266D, 266E, and 266F of

Arial
Unicode MS (in the Miscellaneous Dingbats character subset). Don't ask

me
why the font designer thought it was more important to have "eighth

note"
and "beamed eighth notes" in basic Unicode fonts than to include these,

but
there you have it. Arial Unicode MS is a VERY large font and is not
installed by default but should be on your Windows CD.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Old September 9th 05, 11:34 PM
Goldtop LesPaul

Ok thanks that link helped me get the font on there. This is an XP Home
computer but the Tacoma font only has that sharp symbol and it is version 3.14