Automatically removing Next Record

Old September 11th 05, 08:28 AM
PeteB

Default Automatically removing Next Record

I want to create multiple mailing labels for one record in my data source.
How do I prevent the Next Record from automatically appearing when I create
my labels?
Do I have to remove them manually from all 29 labels?
Old September 11th 05, 10:25 AM
Graham Mayor

Create the label document first from the new document option in the
envelope/label wizard, then use this as the basis for a form letter merge
(rather than a label type merge). Put your next record fields wherever you
want them.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old September 11th 05, 05:25 PM
PeteB

Ok, I got the fields in place, but the Propagate button is grayed out. I
would like to roll out the same fields to every label without having to
customize every label. Is that possible?
The key here is that I don't want Next Record at all. I need the same
address on every label.
Thanks for the help.

Old September 11th 05, 10:07 PM
Doug Robbins

Use a label type mailmerge and delete the Next Record field from each of
the labels. With that arrangement, each new sheet of labels will however
advance to the next record. If you need more that one page of the same
label, after setting up the labels using the label type main document,
change it to a formletter document and copy and paste the required number of
additional rows.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old September 12th 05, 06:11 AM
Graham Mayor

You want your cake and your ha'penny
Propagate will only be available with the document type set to label, but
propagate will add the next fields also. Change the document type to label
propagate the labels, then change it back to form letter and with the field
content displayed (ALT+F9) use the replace function to replace ^d NEXT with
nothing. Then add NEXT fields to the cells where you require them. or leave
them off for a page of labels for each address.

The following macro will do all of this except add the next fields:

Sub DuplicateLabels()

'Change the document type to mailing label
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = _
wdMailingLabels

'propagate the labels
WordBasic.MailMergePropagateLabel

'display the field codes so they can be removed
ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = True
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting

'search for and remove the {next} fields

'added by the propagation and which are not required
With Selection.Find
..Text = "^d NEXT"
..Replacement.Text = ""
..Forward = True
..Wrap = wdFindContinue
..Format = False
..MatchCase = False
..MatchWholeWord = False
..MatchWildcards = False
..MatchSoundsLike = False
..MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute replace:=wdReplaceAll

'revert the document type to a normal document
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType = _

wdFormLetters
End Sub

See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm