symbols for footnotes

Old September 13th 05, 03:10 AM
Tony Young

Default symbols for footnotes

Hi,

When inserting a footnote, we normally append a special symbol after the
text and then add the symbol in front of the footnote. So if there are
3 footnotes, then there will be 3 different symbols. Currently I just
need to two footnotes. I went search the character map but didn't find
symbols often used by other people for footnotes (partly because there
are too many symbols there). Can someone show me where I can find some
proper symbols? Thank you very much for any help.

Tony
Old September 13th 05, 03:40 AM
Jay Freedman

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:10:39 -0700, Tony Young
wrote:

Hi,

When inserting a footnote, we normally append a special symbol after the
text and then add the symbol in front of the footnote. So if there are
3 footnotes, then there will be 3 different symbols. Currently I just
need to two footnotes. I went search the character map but didn't find
symbols often used by other people for footnotes (partly because there
are too many symbols there). Can someone show me where I can find some
proper symbols? Thank you very much for any help.

Tony

Hi Tony,

It sounds like you're manually typing the symbols and footnotes. Don't
do that! Use Word's built-in footnote capabilities, through Insert
Reference Footnote.

To get the symbols you want, in that dialog pull down the "Number
format" box -- the symbols are at the bottom of the list. Word will
automatically insert the correct symbol both in the text and in the
footnote. It'll also automatically add the separator line between the
text and the footnote, and apply the Footnote Text style to the
footnote.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman