Bates Numbering

Old October 5th 05, 03:25 PM
abs

Default Bates Numbering

I'm trying to help my users do Bates numbering. Payne Consulting used to
have a free program you could download, but it only creates one page now.
We're dealing with exhibits that can be hundreds of pages long. The one
thing we tried was to create an Excel spreadsheet, type the first number
(i.e., 05-Bates-001) and then use the fill handle to fill in the numbers up
to 1000 (i.e., 05-Bates-1000). We then saved that document and used it to do
a mail merge in Word using the Avery 5267 labels. That works, but I was
wondering if there was a better way to do this. We are currently using Word
2002, but will be upgrading (starting next week) to Word 2003.
Old October 5th 05, 05:23 PM
Charles Kenyon

The one from Payne Consulting can be set for multiple pages just by copying
and pasting.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Old October 5th 05, 05:58 PM
abs

We were able to use it and just run through it over and over again. The user
was hoping to be able to just do it as one document.

Old October 5th 05, 06:16 PM
Charles Kenyon

You can. Simply create the document with the fields in it. Copy and paste to
insert additional cells and expand your table to multiple pages. You may
have to fine-tune the fields, but it can be done.

Old October 5th 05, 06:24 PM
abs

Duh (note me slapping my head). I understand now...I bet I can do that.
I'll give it a whirl. I'd really like to be able to automate this in some
form or fashion, but one step at a time. Thanks!