drawing a line I can type on later

Old October 7th 05, 06:50 PM
noellia

Default drawing a line I can type on later

I'm creating a form. I want it to have several "fill-in-the-blank" lines
(i.e., Name:_____________, Address ____________), but I want to be able to
save the form for multiple future uses, and be able to just go in & type text
on the lines without affecting the layout of the form as it was saved.

Old October 7th 05, 07:36 PM
Carol

Noellia:

Follow these steps to get your line:

Format | Borders and Shading | Borders

Old October 13th 05, 02:52 AM
GKW in GA

On the FORMS toolbar, press the Text Form Field button to insert a form
field. Place cursor in the field just created (it probably will be grey) and
press the Underline button on FORMAT toolbar to underline the form field. Do
this for every field you want to add. There is a button called Form Field
Shading that will remove the grey background from the form fields if you
don't like they grey background. When your done press the Protect Form button
on the FORMS toolbar. This will allow typing only in the form fields when the
document os opened. Save the document

Old October 13th 05, 07:50 PM
noellia

Thank you! You know what though? I tried it, and it worked just like you
said, except when I then go in & attempt to type on a line, every letter I
type causes the form field to be extended one space to the right. So instead
of simply filling in the line that's already there, the text creates "more
line" as I type, and everything else on the page (that line of the page) gets
shifted to the right as well.

Hmmmm.

Old October 14th 05, 05:19 AM
GKW in GA

Did you pres the Protect Form. That makes the documument so only the form
fieds are input capable

Old October 14th 05, 02:40 PM
noellia

Yes, I pressed the Protect Form. It did make it so only the form fields are
input capable, but the form fields actually expanded one space for every
letter typed, thus shifting everything over to the right. Ugh.

Old October 14th 05, 02:58 PM
Jay Freedman

Text form fields are no different in that respect than typing regular text.
To prevent moving the following text, either put the form fields into a
table (or several tables) or separate the fields from the following text
with tabs (set a tab stop where the following text should begin). Tables are
better, because a tab will jump to the next tab stop after the one you
intended if the field gets too wide.

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesInForms.htm for some help
with this.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old October 17th 05, 06:01 PM
Nicole

I have a related question - I have created a form with underlining as
described in this thread and it works well. However, some of the people
using this form will likely print it out rather than filling it out
electronically. How can I create an underline all the way across the page
when it prints so that some one can "fill-in-the-blank" manually? Right now
when I print, it only gives me an underline for the length of the blank text
form field box.

Thanks for any help!

Old December 8th 05, 06:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"noellia" wrote:

I'm creating a form. I want it to have several "fill-in-the-blank"
lines (i.e., Name:_____________, Address ____________), but I want
to be able to save the form for multiple future uses, and be able
to just go in & type text on the lines without affecting the
layout of the form as it was saved.

I use the line draw on the drawing toolbar. Simply type a word and place the line underneath. You can then type above the line and it prints out as well. Very simple.