Smart Quotes to straight quotes (apostrophe)

Old January 13th 05, 04:23 AM
Elke

Default Smart Quotes to straight quotes (apostrophe)

Hi

My word has been set up so that it does not change straight quotes to smart
quotes.
I have a number of documents that extensively use the single quotes or
apostrophes(eg children's books, don't, etc). On screen, they look like
"straight" , but when printed (Arial font) they come out as curly quotation
marks.

Never had this problem before, just the last few documents. Any suggestions
as to what might have caused this and how to fix it? (PS word had not been
reinstalled updated since I started using it, so no change there...)
Old January 13th 05, 04:31 AM
Jezebel

Go to Tools AutoCorrect options (or whatever it's called in your version
of Word). There are checkboxes on the AutoFormat and AutoFormat as you type
tabs.

You can fix your existing documents using Find and Replace.

Old January 13th 05, 07:01 AM
Elke

Thanks to you both, but tried all the above already - tick box for the curly
apostrophies had always been unticked in the autoformat and replacing them
with the find and replace does not make a difference as on the screen they
look like straight brackets anyway, not curled ones (only when printed).

Still using the same printer as always, but never had this problem before!

Old January 13th 05, 02:48 PM

Same printer *and* same driver (meaning you haven't updated either the
driver or your OS)?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Some printers (including HP LaserJets) will automatically substitute

"curly"
apostrophes for straight ones.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Old January 14th 05, 04:25 AM
Elke

No change whatsoever - same pc, same printer, no program updates or software
installations. Only 4 PC networked to this printer and the other 3 people
have not had this problem - just me! Even they cannot change my 2 docs on
their pcs :-(