BB

Default Can't see level 3 in TOC; can see marks; allowed 4 levels

My TOC displays only first two levels, even though I have allowed 4 levels
and can see the marks for the additional levels in the document. Any help?
Thanks.
jem01354

Did you use the default styles for all of your headings ie Heading 1, Heading
2, Heading 3? If so, try this (but make sure you've saved the document ...
just in case):

Put the cursor somewhere in your TOC (use the cursor keys if hyperlinks
don't allow you to click in it). Insert Index and Tables; on the Table of
Contents tab, in the Print Preview area; does it show all 3 levels ie Heading
1, Heading 2, Heading 3? If it does, click OK and OK again (when it asks if
you want to replace the selected table of contents). If your TOC isn't any
different then, I'm sorry, but I'm not sure why.

However, if it doesn't show 3 levels in the Print Preview area, click the
Options button and type 3 in the Heading 3 TOC Level box. OK OK OK. That
might cure it ... or maybe you created your own styles ... or even just
formatted text to look like a heading, in which case, let me know and I'll
try to help you further?

"BB" wrote:

My TOC displays only first two levels, even though I have allowed 4 levels
and can see the marks for the additional levels in the document. Any help?
Thanks.

BB

Hi and thanks for your help. The print preview area does show all 3 levels.
I figured out that what I wanted to do could not be done. I was selecting
and marking text with a heading level, anticipating that text would fall into
place in the table of contents. I am guessing there has to be a hard return
on at least one side of the text you want to see in your TOC. In other
words, I wanted marked text from anywhere to go into a TOC (like text does
with an Index). Thanks anyway. -bb