Fran

Default Viewing templates is EXTREMELY slow - HELP!

We had all of our templates for our legal secretaries stored on their
local machines. Then, for backup and security purposes we moved them
all to our server (a Windows 2000 server.)

When using File : New (from Template on my computer and navigating to
the server share) was pretty fast (not AS fast but hardly noticeable.)
The client workstations were running Windows 2000 Pro and Office 2000.

We upgraded the workstations to Windows XP (sp2) and upgraded Office
2000 to Office 2003. Now when they try to do the same thing : FILE :
NEW (from template on my computer and navigate to the same network
share) it takes from 60 to 90 seconds JUST to get a list of all the
templates. If they click on one of the tabs it takes another 15
seconds! This performance is HORRIBLE.

If I copy all of the templates back to the local computer they are
fast again but I've lost shared resources and I cannot back them up
from the server side without writing scripts to copy all of the files
back to the server (not a very good alternative.)

What can I do to fix this problem????

Any suggestion is appreciated.

-Fran-

Anne Troy

Fran: Does it take as long if you put a SHORTCUT to that folder on the local
PC? Just checking. I'm not on a server, so I can't test.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Fran " fran wrote in message
[...]

Fran

If I just browse using Windows Explorer it's fast. Just as fast as
looking locally (almost, anyway.) I think the problem is with some
kind of viewing or view caching it's trying to do but I can't be
certain. What stumps me is with Windows 2000 Pro installed it's fast.

It might be just a coincidence but I think Word 2003 is doing
something extra when it's building a list of template files. I can
only guess that its not caching anything on the client side but I
really don't know enough about what's happening behind the scenes when
Word looks at the Templates folder for a list of available templates
to choose from.

-Fran-

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:36:25 -0400, "Anne Troy"
wrote:

Fran: Does it take as long if you put a SHORTCUT to that folder on the local
PC? Just checking. I'm not on a server, so I can't test.
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

.. .

Normal.dot Issue PA New Users 7 August 7th 05 04:40 PM
Get 'Workgroup Templates' to show up in 'New Document' Task Pane? Brian In Phoenix Microsoft Word Help 3 July 15th 05 04:01 AM
How do I turn off the MS Word templates ?? Jay Freedman Microsoft Word Help 0 June 30th 05 03:52 PM
Templates - Slow down over dial up Andy280575 Page Layout 3 March 22nd 05 04:35 AM
Templates in too many languages. Only need English. capt_dalton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 2nd 04 10:29 PM