How do I unlock a word document that is "locked for edit"?

Old January 14th 05, 06:53 PM
Louise

Default How do I unlock a word document that is "locked for edit"?

When I try and create a new document in word or make changes to a recent
document I get the message that the document is "locked for edit"

Can anyone help? How do I unlock it?

Many thanks

Louise
Old January 14th 05, 07:15 PM
Pertinax

The document is restricted through "Protect Document" (Tools Protect
Document). It is read-only, you can not change it.

Old January 14th 05, 07:58 PM
Jay Freedman

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old January 14th 05, 09:32 PM
garfield-n-odie

Since this problem occurs with both new and existing documents, the
problem is probably because you have not activated your Word/Office
software, or because you have an expired trial version of Office 2003.
What happens if you start Word and click on Help | Activate Product? If
you are already activated, a dialog box saying so will appear. If you
are not activated, the Activation Wizard will start. If you have an
expired trial version, a dialog box will prompt you to enter a valid
product key or purchase a key online.