A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Border settings for A4



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 14th 05, 04:13 PM
Stephen Glynn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Border settings for A4

I want to print a page border -- the three line one -- as near as
possible to the edge of a sheet of A4 paper. What settings should I
use?

I've tried several several settings, all of which look OK in print
preview but actually, when I print them out, end up as one, rather than
three, lines, which I assume is caused by the other two actually falling
outside the print area. Or could that just be my
not-particularly-brilliant printer?

Steve
Ads
  #2  
Old November 15th 05, 11:25 AM
Graham Mayor
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Border settings for A4

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org


Stephen Glynn wrote:
I want to print a page border -- the three line one -- as near as
possible to the edge of a sheet of A4 paper. What settings should I
use?

I've tried several several settings, all of which look OK in print
preview but actually, when I print them out, end up as one, rather
than three, lines, which I assume is caused by the other two actually
falling outside the print area. Or could that just be my
not-particularly-brilliant printer?

Steve



  #3  
Old November 16th 05, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Border settings for A4

Graham Mayor wrote:
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm


Thanks. I'm still a bit confused, though.

I've followed the article's advice to set all the margins to zero in
File-Page Set-up and then ask Word 2000 to 'fix the problem' when it
tells me that the margins are set outside the printable area of the page.

However, the printable margins it then goes on to propose aren't those
of my printer (in particular, it thinks I can use a bottom margin of
0.29 cm, while Epson think that the minium margin for my model is 1.25
cm. It's the only printer I've ever installed on this PC; where's Word
getting its information from? Or are these Word's minimum margins,
regardless of what the printer will actually so?

Also, when I go to Page-Set-up - Borders - Page Borders - Options and
try to set the page border's margin from the edge of the page, the only
unit of measurement it offers me is a 'point', despite the fact it uses
metric measures for all other purposes. Is there a way to pursuade it
to use measures I can understand? Google calculator informs that that
'1 PostScript points = 0.0352777778 centimetres', (so 1.25 centimetres
is 35.4330709 points) which isn't the easiest conversion to do!

Steve
  #4  
Old November 16th 05, 04:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Border settings for A4

Word gets the margin limits from the printer driver.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org


Stephen Glynn wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...sDontPrint.htm


Thanks. I'm still a bit confused, though.

I've followed the article's advice to set all the margins to zero in
File-Page Set-up and then ask Word 2000 to 'fix the problem' when it
tells me that the margins are set outside the printable area of the
page.
However, the printable margins it then goes on to propose aren't those
of my printer (in particular, it thinks I can use a bottom margin of
0.29 cm, while Epson think that the minium margin for my model is 1.25
cm. It's the only printer I've ever installed on this PC; where's
Word getting its information from? Or are these Word's minimum
margins, regardless of what the printer will actually so?

Also, when I go to Page-Set-up - Borders - Page Borders - Options and
try to set the page border's margin from the edge of the page, the
only unit of measurement it offers me is a 'point', despite the fact
it uses metric measures for all other purposes. Is there a way to
pursuade it to use measures I can understand? Google calculator
informs that that '1 PostScript points = 0.0352777778 centimetres',
(so 1.25 centimetres is 35.4330709 points) which isn't the easiest
conversion to do!
Steve



  #5  
Old November 16th 05, 06:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Border settings for A4

Graham Mayor wrote:
Word gets the margin limits from the printer driver.


I'm sorry, but it doesn't appear to, at least on my machine.

As an experiment, I've just downloaded and installed the latest driver
for my printer from the manufacturer's website (it's an Epson C44) and
then tried setting all the margins on a blank document to zero and
seeing what both Word and Open Office's Writer suggest.

Epson say that the minimum margins are 3.00 mm on all edges except the
bottom, which is 12.50 mm. Writer gives me 3.00 mm on all edges except
the bottom, where it proposes 13.10 mm, which is pretty close. Word
says 5.90 mm top and left, 61mm at the bottom and 62mm on the right.
It's not a big deal, since I'd never normally need margins that small,
but I'm just puzzled by how Word's calculating them.

Steve
  #6  
Old November 17th 05, 07:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Border settings for A4

Some applications are less strict in their addressing of the printer driver
and can address the printer directly. Word is not one of these. FWIW I have
an Epson printer here and it gives me .3cm all round? An HP laser printer
gives top .42cm bottom .43cm left and right .6cm (All with A4 paper size).

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org


Stephen Glynn wrote:
Graham Mayor wrote:
Word gets the margin limits from the printer driver.


I'm sorry, but it doesn't appear to, at least on my machine.

As an experiment, I've just downloaded and installed the latest driver
for my printer from the manufacturer's website (it's an Epson C44) and
then tried setting all the margins on a blank document to zero and
seeing what both Word and Open Office's Writer suggest.

Epson say that the minimum margins are 3.00 mm on all edges except the
bottom, which is 12.50 mm. Writer gives me 3.00 mm on all edges
except the bottom, where it proposes 13.10 mm, which is pretty close.
Word says 5.90 mm top and left, 61mm at the bottom and 62mm on the
right. It's not a big deal, since I'd never normally need margins
that small, but I'm just puzzled by how Word's calculating them.

Steve



 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ALL of my Office Settings has gone Jae Microsoft Word Help 0 April 5th 05 12:05 PM
how can i gey the bottom of my border to show the settings should. Tindy Microsoft Word Help 1 February 13th 05 04:46 PM
Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 12:11 PM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 February 2nd 05 05:23 PM
Why does the border around a page not print? Is on screen, does . WMock Tables 1 November 24th 04 11:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.