Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tbng

Default Footnote superscripting dichotomy

I have finally gotten a publishing contract for a book. The editor is
telling me that, while the footnote indicators in the text should be
superscripted, the commensurate indicator in the footnote must NOT be
superscripted. Word superscripts both. How can I get Word to insert a
normal-sized number in the footnote while superscripting the entry in the
text? How can I mass change what I already have? How can I get you guys to
buy 1,000,000 copies of my book? It's called Not Like Many Others: The 87th
Pennsylvania Infantry and South Central Pennsylvania. (Civil War topic and
not as egghead in tone as the title suggests.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tbng

"tbng" wrote in message
I have finally gotten a publishing contract for a book. The editor is
telling me that, while the footnote indicators in the text should be
superscripted, the commensurate indicator in the footnote must NOT be
superscripted. Word superscripts both. How can I get Word to insert a
normal-sized number in the footnote while superscripting the entry in the
text? How can I mass change what I already have? How can I get you guys

buy 1,000,000 copies of my book? It's called Not Like Many Others: The

87th
Pennsylvania Infantry and South Central Pennsylvania. (Civil War topic

and
not as egghead in tone as the title suggests.)

I really have no idea what you mean by "E-mail cannot be acknowledge."
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It means that I post my answers here. Did you look at the article I referred
you to?

"tbng" wrote in message

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...scptFnotes.htm for a

start.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"tbng" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Suzanne answered for new footnotes. Another approach:

This method and the one on Suzanne's link are going to produce slightly
different results. You will need to sort out exactly which you prefer, so I
would experiment on a COPY first. Adding a period with this Find & Replace
method is very tricky--in fact, I don't think I know how.

You can mass change what you already have, and repeat at the end of editing,
using find and replace. I personally would do this on a copy, just before I
sent it off to the publisher, and would continue to edit my original.

Put the cursor in the footnotes. Edit | Find to bring up Find & Replace.
Click on More to expand the F&R dialog.

In the Find box, use the Special menu to enter "footnote mark", or ^f.
Then put the cursor in the Replace box--leave the box empty, but with the
cursor in it, use the Format menu to format the box as "not superscript".

You can safely click Replace All--it will only change the numbers in the
footnotes. (But do this on a COPY anyhow)

Following the directions in Suzanne's link about redefining the FootnoteText
style, you can add an automatic indent at the beginning of the footnote as
well, to add some space after the number.

Good luck with your book.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
tbng

I thank both Daiya and Suzanne for their assistance. I never found a "not
subscript" character, but I was able to mark all the footnotes and then press
CTRL/SHIFT/+ once and then again. The first changes everything that isn't
superscript (everything except the footnote numbers) to superscript, and the
second changes everything that is superscript (which is now everything) to
not superscript. I haven't figured out how to mass insert the periods after
the footnote numbers, but I have to revisit every footnote anyway, so I'll
just do them manually. While I have my own footnote macro, the one suggested
here should do the trick for formal writing. Perhaps I'll put the two
together.

Just why, this many years into Word's existence, does it fail to handle
footnoting as required by the Chicago Manual of Style? Does no one have an
add-in?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

On 12/6/05 12:05 PM, "tbng" wrote:

I thank both Daiya and Suzanne for their assistance. I never found a "not
subscript" character,

Sorry. You weren't supposed to be looking for a character, but to use
Format | Font (in the Find dialog) to format the empty replace box as not
superscript. However, you solved it, so no matter.

DM