When I type a character, the next character is deleted. Why?

Old December 7th 05, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default When I type a character, the next character is deleted. Why?

Okay, I'm typing a story, and everytime I go back to edit a certain letter,
or put in a comma, it deletes the next letter/number/punctuation mark. I'm
curious how to change it so that can effectively edit, without having to
re0write the entire thing.
Old December 8th 05, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Press the Insert key. You're in Overwrite mode. This will turn it
off. Most people hit Insert accidentally using Delete or Backspace.