How do I correct a stubborn gap in footnote numbering for Word 200

Old December 16th 05, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I correct a stubborn gap in footnote numbering for Word 200

After relocating a footnote #17 in doc I now have a gap with no #17. After
all efforts to renumber sequentially, a gap remains (even if converted to
A,B,C letters instead of numbers) and even if converted to endnotes instead
of footnotes.

Is there imbedded code for phantom #17 that I can remove to restore
consecutive numbers?
Old December 16th 05, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do you have Track Changes enabled? If so, numbering will not be straightened
out till you accept the changes. If not, did you move the footnote by
dragging or cutting/pasting the footnote reference mark in the document
(which is the correct way to do it)?

Old December 19th 05, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I correct a stubborn gap in footnote numbering for Word

Thanks for suggestion on Track Changes, but still no #17 footnote when Track
Changes disabled. And yes, I did move #17 by dragging reference mark in doc
(not by working in footnote text.

Is there a type of "reveal codes" command that will show me possible phantom
code that I can remove to restore proper sequence?

Old December 19th 05, 10:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can set Footnote as your Browse Object (or use Go To: Footnote) to see
if the search stops anywhere that doesn't appear to be a footnote. If you
haven't already done so, be sure you have Hidden text displayed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have Track Changes enabled? If so, numbering will not be

straightened
out till you accept the changes. If not, did you move the footnote by
dragging or cutting/pasting the footnote reference mark in the document
(which is the correct way to do it)?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Old March 9th 06, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ok. I'm having the same problem in a document I'm editing. I've found
where the "phantom footnote" is located in the text. However, I can't
remove it. I can't select just it and delete it. I've tried deleting
a chunk of the text around it on both sides, but that doesn't seem to
update my numbers.

From reading here and elsewhere, I know what caused it. But I haven't
seen anywhere how to fix it.

--
jjohn30
Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Old March 9th 06, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Nevermind. I was POSITIVE that I didn't have track changes on. But ...
after posting and out of desperation I checked. And yup. It was on.
Accepted all changes and now my numbering is correct.