Space between footnote separator and main text

Old November 30th 04, 02:57 PM
F A L

Default Space between footnote separator and main text

Can I (rather than MS Word) decide how much space I want between the footnote
separator and the last line of the main text? I have modified the format of
the separator, and that did reduce the space beteen the footnote area and the
main text; I have also fixed for the whole document the page settings; the
text alignment is "top" thoughout. And yet (1) Word leaves too much space
between the main text and the footnote separator and (2) the last footnote's
last line is not always at the bottom of the page. I gather this is a
consequence of the "top" aligment of the document, and this is the reason why
i want to know whether the space between the footnotes and the main text can
be modified, so to force the last footnote's last line of every page to
appear at least close to the bootm of it.
Old November 30th 04, 05:36 PM
Daiya Mitchell

You can't control the space between the main text and the footnote
separator. But the notes should extend to the bottom of the page, once
Word starts the notes, it tries to fill up that space to the bottom margin.
Might there be an odd setting in some of your footers pushing the notes
upward? It's also possible that the notes are set to below text, but the
footnote separator has some Space Before attached to it.

To check the footnote separator line:
Switch into Normal View and go to View | Footnotes. A footnote pane will
open up at the bottom. Use the dropdown menu at the top of the pane to
access the separators. Use Format | Paragraph to see whether it has Space
Before set.

Make sure the notes are set to "bottom of page," not "below text" via Insert
|Footnote or Insert | Reference, depends on version, post back if you can't
find it.

View Headers/Footers and see if there is space above the footer text.

DM

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Old November 30th 04, 06:09 PM

As Daiya has implied, you get two choices: you can have the footnotes
uniformly end at the bottom margin by setting them to "Bottom of page," or
you can have the footnotes start a uniform distance below the last line of
text by setting them to "Below text." You can't have it both ways. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

On 11/30/04 6:57 AM, "F A L" wrote:

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Old November 30th 04, 07:05 PM
F A L

Thanks Daiya; i discovered an extra paragraph mark in some footers, and that
solved most of the problem.

Old November 30th 04, 07:48 PM
Daiya Mitchell

Glad to help...

What about the rest of the problem?

Some of the information in these pages would have helped you catch that, you
may find them useful if you work with such documents often.
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/HeaderFooter.htm
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

Old December 2nd 04, 05:13 PM
F A L

I gather that the rest of the problem is unsolvable in word, because it woudl
imply (i imagine) tinkering with the space between the separator and the main
text in every page so as to achieve a satisfactory look. I used to do this
when designing a book in Adobe In Design, because In Design allows you to
define manually the frame text where footnotes appear. But this was highly
time consuming, so I suppose that Word's solution is fair enough.
Thanks again.

Old December 2nd 04, 06:06 PM
Daiya Mitchell

On 12/2/04 9:13 AM, "F A L" wrote:

I gather that the rest of the problem is unsolvable in word, because it woudl
imply (i imagine) tinkering with the space between the separator and the main
text in every page so as to achieve a satisfactory look.

Correct. Not feasible and I think not even doable. You need page layout
software for that kind of control, as you said.

You hadn't actually said what the rest of the problem was, that's why I
asked.

DM