How can I do columns in a text box?

Old January 4th 06, 11:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How can I do columns in a text box?

I have Windows 2000. I blocked column text and converted to text box to have
flexibility in moving/adjusting location of box. I cannot get columns in
text box. How can this be done? I need two columns.
Old January 5th 06, 12:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word's column feature does not work within a text box. You don't say which
version of Word you're using (Windows and Word are *not* the same thing),
but later versions of Word support floating tables that can be moved much as
pictures and text boxes. By using a two column table, you might be able to
get what you want. Or, if you need text to flow from one column to the
other, you might use two text boxes side by size, and use the link tool to
cause text to flow from one text box into the other.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

Old January 5th 06, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006 15:40:02 -0800, "73MGBGT"
wrote:

I have Windows 2000. I blocked column text and converted to text box to have
flexibility in moving/adjusting location of box. I cannot get columns in
text box. How can this be done? I need two columns.

Word doesn't support multiple column text inside text boxes or frames.

As a workaround, make two text boxes positioned side by side. With the
cursor in the first box, click the Create Text Box Link button on the
Text Box toolbar, then click inside the second text box. That makes
text "flow" from the first box to the second box automatically. Format
each box with No Line so it isn't obvious that they're separate.

A less desirable workaround is to place a two-cell table inside a text
box. You'd have to move overflow text manually from the first cell to
the second cell. This might be feasible if the text would never be
edited afterward.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman