Tent Card Mail Merge Trouble

Old January 10th 06, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Tent Card Mail Merge Trouble

I have a mail merge set up for tent cards. The problem I am encountering is
that the template and the cards have two cards on a page/sheet. But when I
do the merge, I get the same person's name on BOTH cards (the first two
cells, and also the second two cells).

I think I understand that I need to enter into my main document a next
record; however, the place I found this advice (an archive here in the
discussion group) explained it in a way that was frankly, above my head.....I
didn't grasp it. Can anyone describe in very step-by-step directions...or
guide me to some instructions that are simple? Or perhaps there is another
way to accomplish same thing?

Thanks.

Old January 10th 06, 09:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Place the Next Record field before the first mergefield in the second
card on the main document

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old January 10th 06, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Doug, and thanks. I understand this instruction but for one thing and
that is that I do not know how to "get" a Next Record field. Do I "get"
it simply by typing the characters??? (Yikes, sorry.....)

SHogan

Old January 11th 06, 04:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Insert menu, select Fields and then select the Next field from the
list of fields is one way.

Another is to Press Ctrl+F9 and type the word Next inside the { }, then use
Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of field codes

It is also available from the Word Fields pulldown that is available when
setting up the mailmerge main document. To be more specific about this
method we would need to know what version of Word you are using but the
first two methods work in all versions.