Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stressmonkey

Default Word files slow to open (sort of)

I have a person with Office 2000. When she tries to open a word file from
the open dialog box by clicking the down arrow to change the "look in", the
program gets hung up. She showed my and it actually said "not responding" at
the top of the box right next to the work "Open". We watched for a few
seconds (20-30?) and then the drop down worked. I did a defrag the other day
along with an extra virus scan, updated and ran the spyware scan and of
course everything worked fine for me. While she is gone this afternoon I
will check a couple other things. I will clear out her temp files and delete
the normal.dot. It looks like the same thing is happening in excel too. It
was slow but didn't say "not responding". If it wasn't for the "not
responding", I would just say she was impatient. Any other ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.

stressmonkey wrote:

I have a person with Office 2000. When she tries to open a word file from
the open dialog box by clicking the down arrow to change the "look in", the
program gets hung up. She showed my and it actually said "not responding" at
the top of the box right next to the work "Open". We watched for a few
seconds (20-30?) and then the drop down worked. I did a defrag the other day
along with an extra virus scan, updated and ran the spyware scan and of
course everything worked fine for me. While she is gone this afternoon I
will check a couple other things. I will clear out her temp files and delete
the normal.dot. It looks like the same thing is happening in excel too. It
was slow but didn't say "not responding". If it wasn't for the "not
responding", I would just say she was impatient. Any other ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stressmonkey

All are fine. I did find out that everything is fine when not connected to
the network. But as soon as I hook back up, it does the same thing. And it
is both word and excel.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop,
left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped
drives that are not currently available.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stressmonkey

For Office to work while not connected to the network was not a possibility.
After trying to repair Office, I ended reinstalling it. Everything is fine
now.