How do I capitalize the first letter of sentences?

Old January 25th 06, 07:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I capitalize the first letter of sentences?

I have the autocorrect check box 'checked' to autocap the first letter of
every sentence. Unfortunately, it's not working. How do I fix this problem?
For example, after adding a new sentence to an existing paragraph, the new
sentence won't automatically capitalize, nor will there be any spaces between
the end of the first and the beginning of the second sentence.
This used to work, but it is not any longer. I can't figure out how to
correct it back to do it again.
Thank you in advance.
Old January 25th 06, 11:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Where in the paragraph are you beginning this new sentence? The
capitalisation occurs at the start of a paragraph (unless it's a numbered
paragraph) and in the middle of a paragraph if you start typing after the
space following a full stop (period). At the end of a paragraph you would
need to add a space after the final full stop (period) for capitalisation to
occur. If you paste a sentence into a paragraph anywhere it doesn't work.
When all else fails use the shift key. That's what it's for

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
.

Old January 25th 06, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Graham has said, make sure, of course, that you actually have
all the AutoCorrect options enabled. Also, be aware that Word will not
capitalize after a number followed by a period. As for adding a space,
that's probably part of the problem, since a space is needed to tell Word
you're starting a new word/sentence after the period, but it may also be
somewhat influenced by your "smart" settings in Tools | Options | Edit
(though these mostly concern pasting).

Old January 26th 06, 08:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank you both. I do realize those issues. My problem is adding a sentence
to an existing paragraph. The issue is occuring with starting a new sentence
with Dragon Dictate. If I put the cursor after the period following an
existing sentence, Dragon Dictate and Word used to automatically recognize
that it is a new sentence. They automatically added two spaces, and
capitalized the first letter of the new sentence. For some reason, that is
no longer working, and I can't figure out what changed!