How do I delete duplicate entries in a Word document?

Old January 28th 06, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I delete duplicate entries in a Word document?

I have a large word document with lots of email addresses, many of which are
duplicate entries- how do I delete these repeat entries without having to
rely on the ControlF function?
Old January 28th 06, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It will be easier to identify the duplicate entries if you make the list
alphabetical. It is possible to remove duplicate entries via Excel as well.

Old January 28th 06, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You will find some information on removing duplicates in the article
"Finding and replacing characters using wildcards" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Genera...gWildcards.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old January 29th 06, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you have the values in Excel, you can go to Data, Filter, Advanced
Filter. Select Unique Records.
Here is another way.
Suppose you have addresses in cells A2 to A7, with some of them duplicate
entries.
In cell C2 enter =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A2=$A2)) and copy to C2:C7.

Old November 11th 07, 10:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SN

Helo, I am facing exactly the same problem. Did you find the answer?? I
will very much appreciate if you can share it with me.
Thank you very much
SN

Old November 11th 07, 04:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey

Provided the email entries are of the ????????@??????.??? format (where ?
is any character) then this might work:

Sub ScratchMacro()
Dim pStr As String
Dim oRng As Range
Dim i As Long
Dim j As Long
Dim oFld As Field
Dim bLoop As Boolean
i = 1
bLoop = True
Do
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
oRng.Start = i
With oRng.Find
.Text = "?{1,}\@?{1,}.?{3}"
.MatchWildcards = True
Do
.Execute
If Not .Found Then
bLoop = False
Exit Do
End If
If oRng.Start = i Then
pStr = Trim(oRng.Text)
i = oRng.End
j = 0
For Each oFld In ActiveDocument.Fields
If InStr(oFld.Code, pStr) 0 Then
j = j + 1
If j 1 Then
oFld.Delete
End If
End If
Next oFld
Exit Do
Else
oRng.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
End If
Loop While .Found = True
End With
Loop While bLoop = True
End Sub

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Old November 11th 07, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SN

Dear Greg,
Thanks vm .... but this appears too technical to me.... I am just an average
computer user and cannot really understand what you say..... Isnt there any
straightforward way to 'DELETE DUPLICATE WORDS IN A DOCUMENT?"
Rgds/SN