How to align equation to the last line

Old February 3rd 06, 11:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to align equation to the last line

I have numbered the equations on its right in my Word document and they are
aligned to the center when the equations have more than one line. I would
like to align the equation numbers to the last line of the equation (or the
bottom of the object) and wonder how I can do so.

Thanks
Old February 3rd 06, 01:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 03:26:19 -0800, niwrad
wrote:

I have numbered the equations on its right in my Word document and they are
aligned to the center when the equations have more than one line. I would
like to align the equation numbers to the last line of the equation (or the
bottom of the object) and wonder how I can do so.

Thanks

The most reliable method is to use a two-column borderless table, with
the equations in the left (wide) column and the equation numbers in
the right (narrow) column. Select the right column, right click it,
select Cell Alignment, and choose the bottom right alignment.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Old February 3rd 06, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:

I have numbered the equations on its right in my Word document and they are
aligned to the center when the equations have more than one line. I would
like to align the equation numbers to the last line of the equation (or the
bottom of the object) and wonder how I can do so.

Thanks

The most reliable method is to use a two-column borderless table, with
the equations in the left (wide) column and the equation numbers in
the right (narrow) column. Select the right column, right click it,
select Cell Alignment, and choose the bottom right alignment.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Thanks for the response.

I have created a particular formatting style to automatically number the
equations and align them horizontally and it's been very useful other than
for this stated issue. So I'm wondering if it's possible to maintain this and
just alter some formatting setting such that the equation numbers on the
right can be align to the bottom of the equation object.
Old February 3rd 06, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

wrote:

[...]

I don't think there's anything you can do in a style, but you can ask Design
Science (www.dessci.com or www.mathtype.com), the company that supplies the
Equation Editor to Microsoft. You should also look at their commercial
product MathType, which (among many other enhancements) can make its own
equation numbers.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Old February 3rd 06, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 3-Feb-2006, "Jay Freedman" wrote:

I don't think there's anything you can do in a style, but you can ask
Design Science (www.dessci.com or www.mathtype.com), the
company that supplies the Equation Editor to Microsoft. You should
also look at their commercial product MathType, which (among
many other enhancements) can make its own equation numbers.

Niwrad, Jay's correct. His solution of using the table is the only way I
know of to do it in Word. ("It" being aligning the number and the equation
as you described.) Now if you're making web pages out of the Word document,
that's another story all together, but I don't think that's the case.

Jay mentioned MathType. He's right -- MathType will do the numbering &
referencing automatically. Even using MathType though, the only way I know
of to align the bottom of the equation number with the bottom of the
equation is to use a table.

Bob Mathews bobm at dessci.com
Director of Training
FREE fully-functional 30-day evaluation of MathType 5
Design Science, Inc. -- "How Science Communicates"
MathType, WebEQ, MathPlayer, MathFlow, Equation Editor, TeXaide

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Old May 21st 06, 07:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

EASY: Set the Format:Font:Character Spacing:Position to 3 pt lowered. This
removes the default equation alignment; the 3 pt lower accounts for the white
space at the bottom of the image.

Once you do it for one, use CTRL-Y to apply the same formatting to the other
equations.

Roy Jensen