Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glennh

Default Why do I get file permission errors when saving documents on USB .

When using a USB flash drive with Word, at times I get a 'file permission
error' when trying to save a document. The drive is only about 20% full, but
if I delete some other Word files, then I can save the new file. This happens
with an existing Word file that I have previously created and saved, and then
edited and then used the 'SaveAs' command to rename it and to save it. That's
when I get the 'file permission error'.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's usually best not to use Save As on *any* kind of removable media
(especially floppies, but even including USB drives). Instead, save to the
HD and Copy or Send to the USB drive.

"Glennh" wrote in message
When using a USB flash drive with Word, at times I get a 'file permission
error' when trying to save a document. The drive is only about 20% full,

but
if I delete some other Word files, then I can save the new file. This

happens
with an existing Word file that I have previously created and saved, and

then
edited and then used the 'SaveAs' command to rename it and to save it.

That's
when I get the 'file permission error'.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Glennh

Default Why do I get file permission errors when saving documents on U

I don't think that's the problem. Plus, if I save to my hard drive first, I
am wasting time and loading up my hard drive with files that I don't want
there. Also, when I get this error message, if I delete some files from the
flash drive, the error message goes away and I can store the file. Lastly, I
have never before seen your recommendation on saving to hard drive before you
save to removable media. Is this a generally accepted practice?

"Glennh" wrote in message
When using a USB flash drive with Word, at times I get a 'file permission
error' when trying to save a document. The drive is only about 20% full,

but
if I delete some other Word files, then I can save the new file. This

happens
with an existing Word file that I have previously created and saved, and

then
edited and then used the 'SaveAs' command to rename it and to save it.

That's
when I get the 'file permission error'.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, saving to any form of removable media is generally discouraged. When
you save a Word document, Word creates a variety of temp files in the folder
where the document is saved. Over time, these can accumulate to the point
where they fill the available space, especially on a floppy disk. In the
case of a CD, Word either can't create the needed temp files or can't delete
them when you close the document, exacerbating the problem. In addition, if
you happen to remove the disk after closing the document but before Word is
through swapping files, you will end up with an irretrievably corrupted
document.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's usually best not to use Save As on *any* kind of removable media
(especially floppies, but even including USB drives). Instead, save to

the
HD and Copy or Send to the USB drive.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Glennh" wrote in message
When using a USB flash drive with Word, at times I get a 'file

permission
error' when trying to save a document. The drive is only about 20%

full,
but
if I delete some other Word files, then I can save the new file. This

happens
with an existing Word file that I have previously created and saved,

and
then
edited and then used the 'SaveAs' command to rename it and to save it.

That's
when I get the 'file permission error'.

How do I remove permission restrictions from Word 2003 documents? potter Microsoft Word Help 1 June 1st 05 02:45 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
How do I save document with file permission error to USB storage . Hiker2424 Microsoft Word Help 1 April 4th 05 08:25 AM
Saving File in Word Generates Error Jim Microsoft Word Help 1 December 20th 04 03:24 AM
Documents on CR-RW are Read Only Beth Melton Microsoft Word Help 0 December 15th 04 06:22 PM