Can word do mouseover comment like excel

Old February 14th 06, 03:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Can word do mouseover comment like excel

Good morning and happy VD: In Excel, I can insert a comment into a cell, and
excel puts a little red flag in the corner of the cell, and you can mouseover
that flag and see the comment. Does anyone know how to make a "hot spot" in
word such that when you mouseover a flag, it displays some text not visible
otherwise? I already know how to insert comment in word and then do the
show-hide trick, but then you see all the junk in the entire document, which
is not the behavior we desire. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
--
Ron Ehrlich
Old February 16th 06, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi =?Utf-8?B?Um9uIEVocmxpY2g=?=,

Good morning and happy VD: In Excel, I can insert a comment into a cell, and
excel puts a little red flag in the corner of the cell, and you can mouseover
that flag and see the comment. Does anyone know how to make a "hot spot" in
word such that when you mouseover a flag, it displays some text not visible
otherwise? I already know how to insert comment in word and then do the
show-hide trick, but then you see all the junk in the entire document, which
is not the behavior we desire.

I don't know what you mean by "all the junk in the entire document", and it
would help to know which version of Word you have, but...

Essentially, a Word comment is the only choice you have. The Word object model
does not support an "mouse over" events, and Word doesn't provide anything else
that gives you a tooltip when you hover in the text.

About the only other thing I can imagine, if this is Office 2003, would be to set
it up as a SmartDocument (requires knowledge of XML and a programming language
like Visual Basic or C#). Then you could present context-sensitive information in
a task pane, at the left.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org