Remove character limit in mail merge fields.

Old February 20th 06, 10:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Remove character limit in mail merge fields.

There should be no character limit with merge field data. There is no reason
why it should be limited. Ridiculous.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...merge.fi elds
Old February 23rd 06, 11:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi =?Utf-8?B?YmhvZGdl?=,

There should be no character limit with merge field data. There is no reason
why it should be limited.

What limit are you running into? As far as I know, there was no limit until the
first release of Word 2000. And from Service pack 1 on, that limit was
increased to some 32,000+ characters. Hard to imagine text coming into a mail
merge that's over this limit?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old February 24th 06, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with a column that has a bunch of text. I am
trying to create a bunch of tables in word, since powerpoint can not do mail
merge, from the excel spreadsheet. Whenever the text length in the column
exceeds 255 characters, it stops processing the mail merge and moves to the
next row in the table. I have seen on microsofts site that it is limited to
255 characters. i was looking for a way to get around that. sorry for the
grumpy post, I thought I was writing microsoft a nasty gram and not a post.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?YmhvZGdl?=,

Old February 24th 06, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the item "Confirm conversions at open". Then,
when you attach the data source, select DDE as the method by which the
connection should be made.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"bhodge" wrote in message
news
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with a column that has a bunch of text. I
am
trying to create a bunch of tables in word, since powerpoint can not do
mail
merge, from the excel spreadsheet. Whenever the text length in the column
exceeds 255 characters, it stops processing the mail merge and moves to
the
next row in the table. I have seen on microsofts site that it is limited
255 characters. i was looking for a way to get around that. sorry for the
grumpy post, I thought I was writing microsoft a nasty gram and not a
post.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi =?Utf-8?B?YmhvZGdl?=,

There should be no character limit with merge field data. There is no
reason
why it should be limited.

What limit are you running into? As far as I know, there was no limit
until the
first release of Word 2000. And from Service pack 1 on, that limit was
increased to some 32,000+ characters. Hard to imagine text coming into a
mail
merge that's over this limit?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old February 25th 06, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi =?Utf-8?B?YmhvZGdl?=,

I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with a column that has a bunch of text. I am
trying to create a bunch of tables in word, since powerpoint can not do mail
merge, from the excel spreadsheet. Whenever the text length in the column
exceeds 255 characters, it stops processing the mail merge and moves to the
next row in the table. I have seen on microsofts site that it is limited to
255 characters. i was looking for a way to get around that. sorry for the
grumpy post, I thought I was writing microsoft a nasty gram and not a post.

G Your message appeared as a suggestion, but if there is a way to do it, we do
try to help folks get out of a jam. Suggestions appear in the NTTP lists the
same way posts do, all public and everything.

Doug has given you one suggestion, that's mail-merge specific.

There may be other approaches than mail merge. If you can describe why you use
mail merge rather than, say Copy/Paste, that may give me enough to make some
alternative suggestions. One right off the top of my head: are you familiar with
the Insert Database tool on the Database toolbar? It's a lot like setting up a
mail merge, except it gives you a table and no need to execute to a new
document. Try the connection method Doug suggests. If DDE gives you grief, see
if ODBC is any better.

Old February 27th 06, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That totally worked! Thanks so much for the help!

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the item "Confirm conversions at open". Then,
when you attach the data source, select DDE as the method by which the
connection should be made.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"bhodge" wrote in message
news
I have an excel 2003 spreadsheet with a column that has a bunch of text. I
am
trying to create a bunch of tables in word, since powerpoint can not do
mail
merge, from the excel spreadsheet. Whenever the text length in the column
exceeds 255 characters, it stops processing the mail merge and moves to
the
next row in the table. I have seen on microsofts site that it is limited
255 characters. i was looking for a way to get around that. sorry for the
grumpy post, I thought I was writing microsoft a nasty gram and not a
post.

Hi =?Utf-8?B?YmhvZGdl?=,