wdSendToNewDocument Work around

Old March 1st 06, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default wdSendToNewDocument Work around

I've got a bunch of merge documents that use:

..Destination = wdSendToNewDocument

in thier auto-merge macro:

Sub Startup()
Dim DocName$
DocName = ActiveDocument.Name
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.Execute
End With
Windows(DocName).Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

The problem is that there are a few users of the merge documents that have a
special software on their computers that uses a customized .dot file. This
file overrides the .Destination = wdSendToNewDocument command in my script.
(according to an IT guy here)

These users can merge the documents, but they cannot save or print the
documents (print can be achieved via print preview). Even a copy/paste of the
merged doc to a new word doc yields the same results.

On all other computers not using the software/.dot file, there are no
problems.

Is there a command I can use that does the same thing as .Destination =
wdSendToNewDocument?

Thanks in advance,
-Matt
Old March 1st 06, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I would not accept the word of an "IT" guy that said that. However, if the
users need to be able merge to a new document then the IT guy should do his
job and sort out the problem.

If by chance there is some add-in that is causing the problem, select
Templates and Add-ins from the Tools menu and uncheck anything that it there
and see if that overcomes the problem.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old March 1st 06, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Doug,

I really wish I could ingnore that guy, but unfortunately they're pointing
the finger at me. They say there are more people using their software with
the .dot than are using my db/mail merge, so I've gotta make changes. Do you
know of any other way to automerge? (other than wdSendToNewDocument)

-Matt

Old March 1st 06, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can you expand on this part of your original post

"These users can merge the documents, but they cannot save or print the
documents (print can be achieved via print preview). Even a copy/paste of
the
merged doc to a new word doc yields the same results."

When you say "merge the documents", how is that being performed and to what
destination. There is nothing that should prevent you from copying and
pasting a document created by mailmerge just because that was the way that
it was created.

Old March 1st 06, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There is an MS Access database, users select groups of data, and they are
then showed a form with multiple buttons. (each button opens a different
group of word documents based on the selected group parameters)

When a button is clicked the word documents open, and automaticly merge,
closing the original merge template, leaving the user with up to six merged
word documents open.

The docs automerge with:
Sub Startup()
Dim DocName$
DocName = ActiveDocument.Name
With ActiveDocument.MailMerge
.Destination = wdSendToNewDocument
.Execute
End With
Windows(DocName).Close wdDoNotSaveChanges
End Sub

For the two users with this problem, the following are greyed out:

File-Save
File-Save As...
File-Print
Print button
Save button
Ctrl P doesn't work
Ctrl S doesn't work

If the entire merged document is copied and pasted into a new, blank word
document, these follow it for some reason.

Its really weird.

Old March 2nd 06, 06:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

So, the merge to a new document does actually work, but those new documents
cannot be saved.

What do you get if from the Help menu, you select Activate Product?

Old March 2nd 06, 04:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I can't find Activate Product anywhere. Not even a description of it in the
Help File. Even tried looking in "All Commands" of the Customize window,
only an ActivateObject there.