same comment on two lines of text

Old March 4th 06, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default same comment on two lines of text

Lets say I'm writing a document that requires me to note a relationship
between two line items.

I've tried highlighting two non-consecutive parts of the document using the
Ctrl key while selecting each section of the document. This works as you
would expect.
However, when I try to associate the new comment to the multi-selected text,
only the very last selection in the group has the comment balloon connected.
I would like to see two separate connection lines drawn from the one comment
balloon to the two (or more) text segments highlights.

Can this be done?

Old March 4th 06, 02:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Let me just ask if there can be a one-to-many comment structure in Word.

I want to tie one comment, to several (logical) occurrences in a document
with several sequences of like information.

Think of the document as being a menu in a restaurant. I want to point out
all the menu items that are low cal. with one "low cal." comment. I want to
point out all the "fat free" items with another comment.

I'm almost sure Word will not do this, but just wanted to ask...

Old March 4th 06, 03:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, there is no way to do this. Everything in a Word document is anchored to
a range: by definition, a range is a single, contiguous stretch of document,
delimited by single start and end points. So you can't anchor anything to
multiple locations.

Some possible workarounds
- use textboxes and lines.
- use different color highlighting, with an explanation 'Yellow highlighting
means low-cal, blue means the chef was on speed that day, etc'

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I suggest you word your comment in such a way that it is obvious what
you're
commenting on.

so
all may benefit.