Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Enigmagirl

Default Why can't I add bullets

I am trying to add bullets to a list and under the format heading they are
greyed out as well as on my tool bar.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

I think Word needs an enigma...

Seriously: The file format of the document you are working on does not
support bullets. That means it's plain text.

Do a file Save As and save the document as a Word Document.

Cheers

On 30/3/06 7:31 AM, in article
, "Enigmagirl"
wrote:

I am trying to add bullets to a list and under the format heading they are
greyed out as well as on my tool bar.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Enigmagirl

Thanks for that John. Word IS an enigma for sure.

As for the file format not supporting bullets, the rest of the document is
okay with bullets and I've checked the paragraph, line setup etc but it just
wont accept them. I checked and it has been saved as a word document.

wrote:

I am trying to add bullets to a list and under the format heading they are
greyed out as well as on my tool bar.

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

OK. Only "paragraphs" can accept bullets. Is each line you want to have a
bullet ended by a paragraph mark?

If it's a hard return (Shift + Enter) instead of a Paragraph mark (Enter)
then it can't support bullets.

It may be that that text is completely corrupt. Cut it out of the document,
paste it into Notepad, then copy it from Notepad and paste it back into the
document.

Hope this helps

On 3/4/06 7:38 AM, in article
, "Enigmagirl"