Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila

Default Why won't my folders in Word open?

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing previously saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows Explorer which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165 "Problems in Windows
Explorer or the Windows shell after you install security update
MS06-015".

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing previously saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows Explorer which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sheila

I was certain that your suggestion would work as we have recently bought a
new HP photosmart printer but unfortunately I still have the same problem, so
back to the drawing board.

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing previously saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows Explorer which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs. Find the hotfix and uninstall. In
Windows XP, you have to check the box for "Show updates" to ensure that it
is listed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you may have no recourse (for the time being) but to

uninstall
the update.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing

previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My

Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows

Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have Automatic Updates set for full auto, downgrade it to semi-auto
("Notify me but don't automatically download or install them."). Then you
can keep refusing the update, or you can choose "No, and don't show me this
one again," but when the new one is available tomorrow you'll need to check
"Offer updates again that I've previously hidden."

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing

previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows

Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric

Thanks. As you can probably tell, I'm not very good at this. Do I take it
from your message that a new update, one that won't cause the conflict, will
be released tomorrow? If so, I can tough it out.

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing
previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows
Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

See: You may experience problems in Windows Explorer or in the Windows shell
after you install security update MS06-015
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=918165

If you aren't comfortable with editing the Windows registry yourself, then
go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to Item
No. 383 "Hewlett-Packard's Share-to-Web software - Fix". Download and run
the script to automatically modify your registry as described in KB918165.
You may need to temporarily disable your antivirus program in order to run
the script.

A revised version of the update is supposed to be released on Tuesday, April
25, to fix these problems.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"royboy825" wrote in message

"Sheila" wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan

I am having the same problem - trying to Open File - can only open in "My
Documents" - I tried to uninstall but it says I can't uninstall updates.

Should I just reinstall Word? And if I do that, will I lose my documents?

Thanks!

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing
previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from Windows
Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Reinstalling Word will have no effect on this problem whatsoever (but it
also won't cause you to lose your documents). Where are you getting the
message that you can't uninstall the update?

news

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing
previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to

the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from

Windows
Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Susan

Hi Suzanne, thanks!

When I go into install/uninstall programs and click on updates it shows me
recent Office Updates as of 4/06 - but when I choose one to uninstall it
tells me I cannot uninstall the updates.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Reinstalling Word will have no effect on this problem whatsoever (but it
also won't cause you to lose your documents). Where are you getting the
message that you can't uninstall the update?

news

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders storing
previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly to

the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from

Windows
Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The update you are looking for is not an Office update but a Windows update.
It will be listed as Windows [version] Hotfix - KB908431.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Reinstalling Word will have no effect on this problem whatsoever (but it
also won't cause you to lose your documents). Where are you getting the
message that you can't uninstall the update?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case you may have no recourse (for the time being)

but
uninstall
the update.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders

storing
previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly

the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from

Windows
Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cbass

This is exactly the problem I am having. I am printing off the advice right
now and going to tackle this later on tonight. I have fought with this for
hours over the last 2 days and have job search information that I am unable
to access without juggling between work and home computers.
Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Reinstalling Word will have no effect on this problem whatsoever (but it
also won't cause you to lose your documents). Where are you getting the
message that you can't uninstall the update?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news I am having the same problem - trying to Open File - can only open in

Sheila wrote:

When in Word and Exel I can't open any sub-folders

storing
previously
saved
documents. I can only open documents saved directly

the My
Documents
folder. I can only open the sub-folders direct from
Windows
Explorer
which
doesn't help when I am trying to save a file.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

A revised version of the MS06-015 update was released today that
supposedly interacts better with the older HP and nVidia
software. You can download the revised update from
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx.

Some people may suggest that you uninstall the MS06-015 update, or rename
the c:\windows\system32\verclsid.exe file. Doing either of these things
will leave your computer vulnerable to the security issue described at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms06-015.mspx. You should
only uninstall these if the revised patch causes the same problems and the
registry edit doesn't help.

For the latest info, see http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/default.aspx.

The text of this message was lifted verbatim from other posts, primarily
those of garfield-n-odie.