How to turn off AutoCorrect for certain texts?

Old April 21st 06, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to turn off AutoCorrect for certain texts?

I use Word not just for word processing, but also in situations where there
is code involved. Typical problems a
1. My text contains code snippets. I would like Word to just leave them as I
type them. I was hoping this would be possible if I formatted the snippets as
non-English, but that doesn't help.
2. Search&Replace all occurrences of some string with "some string". Right
away, AutoCorrect replaces the straight quotes with "smart quotes", according
to the settings in the "AutoFormat as you type" tab. The usual way of undoing
this by using Undo does not work after Search&Replace.
Is there any practical solution? Obviously, it doesn't make sense to go
through all 20 or so AutoCorrect options, disable them when you write code or
perform certain Search&Replace actions and then enable them again when you
write English.

Thanks,
Sebastian
Old April 22nd 06, 01:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

G'Day Sebastian,

There is no "Word" solution. You need to switch between Word
and (say) Notepad.

Type the snippets in Notepad, then Copy & Paste. Even then you
may need to reformat the snippets in Courier for clarity.
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

Old April 22nd 06, 02:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for confirming my fear. Of course, Notepad doesn't solve either of my
scenarios, since (in #1) I need to preserve formatting and similar
information and (in #2) I run Search&Replace actions from macros.

If there's really no other way, then it still is possible to write a pair of
macros to disable and enable AutoCorrect behavior. I would have to run them
everytime before and after I deal with text that want Word to leave as is. I
found something (he
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=1),
but I'm not sure how complete their list is.

Old April 23rd 06, 04:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In your macro, you can turn off the AutoCorrect option for smart quotes
before you do your replace and return it to its pre-replace state afterward.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.