Word slow to open after retiring template server

Old April 26th 06, 05:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word slow to open after retiring template server

After retiring a Server containing our Word Templates our Word document
take 5 - 10 minutes to open.

I originally tried a script to change the template path, but this
didn't work as I have discovered that the
Path to the workgroup templates is via a mapped drive and is correctly
pointing to the new server. I have verified this in the header of the
document (opening it in notepad).

Something else in each document is trying to access the old server.

This can be verified by bring the old server back online. The
documents open immediately.

I can fix this by copying the contents of the documents into a new file
and saving this over the old one.

I know that I can try to hack the DNS & WINS to redirect the calls to
the old server to the new one, but this isn't a fix, but rather a
short term hack.

We are currently using Office97 and moving to Office2003. Both
versions experience the same issue.

Has anyone any ideas to resolve this?

Old April 26th 06, 06:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, this relates to the Template related issue that I have eliminated.

Converting WordPerfect 12 files to Word 2003 Curious New Users 3 March 29th 06 01:05 AM
Word 97 in Windows XP to maintain formatting Charlie''s Word VBA questions Microsoft Word Help 21 October 24th 05 09:49 PM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
Moving templates to other computer GeorgeMar Microsoft Word Help 10 February 19th 05 04:59 AM