creating "pop up" message boxes in Word 2003 table Win 2K O/S

Old May 4th 06, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Default creating "pop up" message boxes in Word 2003 table Win 2K O/S

How can I create a message that appears when user tabs into a specific cell
in a table? I need to post instructions for user to enter certain data when
landing in the cell. I played with fields but could not get the message box
to appear. Since I am dealing with a table, am I better off using Excel and
the Data Validation tool?

thanks
Old May 5th 06, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Hi =?Utf-8?B?dG9yYWp1ZG8=?=,

How can I create a message that appears when user tabs into a specific cell
in a table? I need to post instructions for user to enter certain data when
landing in the cell. I played with fields but could not get the message box
to appear. Since I am dealing with a table, am I better off using Excel and
the Data Validation tool?

Excel is certainly worth considering, if you're working with a table, and
calculations, and such.

You can do what you describe in Word, but it will involve "non-trivial" macro
coding. You'd need to use trap WindowSelectionChange event, figure out whether
the user just entered the cell in question and, if he did, display the message.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old May 6th 06, 07:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you use a formfield in the cell (it will however require that the
documnet be protected for forms) you could use a macro that runs on entry to
the formfield to display a message box. Or you could use the "Add Help
text" facility of the formfield.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.