Quotation Marks in Word

Old May 17th 06, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Quotation Marks in Word

Help! When I am typing and go to use open quote (example) "whatevertexthere"
the opening quote comes out on the bottom and the closing quote comes out
backwards. Thanks in advance.
Old May 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Found it in another posting - Tools, Autocorrect, replace quotes, off. Thank
you.

Old May 17th 06, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word, click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat As You
Type tab | check the "'Straight quotes' with 'smart quotes'" box

Old May 17th 06, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Microsoft Word automatically changes straight quotation marks ( ' or " ) to
curly (smart or typographer's) quotes ( or ) as you type.

To turn this feature on or off:

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat
As You Type tab.
Under Replace as you type, select or clear the "Straight quotes" with "smart
quotes" check box.
Note You can find and replace all instances of single or double curly
quotes with straight quotes in your document. To do this, clear the "Straight
quotes" with "smart quotes" check box on the AutoFormat As You Type tab. On
the Edit menu, click Replace. In both the Find what and Replace with boxes,
type ' or ", and then click Find Next or Replace All.

To replace all straight quotes with curly quotes, select the "Straight
quotes" with "smart quotes" check box, and repeat the find and replace
procedure.

This information is from the Help menu in MS Word.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

Old May 17th 06, 11:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This will keep you from having "smart quotes," but it doesn't address the
specific issue that you're getting the wrong kind of smart quotes, and that
results from having the wrong language selected. In English, you should be
getting what are called "6 and 9" quotation marks. That is, the opening
quotes are curved like an opening parenthesis, with a dot at the bottom, and
the closing quotes are curved like a closing parenthesis, with a dot at the
top, but both characters are raised--neither appears at the text baseline.
The low quotation marks are used in some other languages.

"TinleyParkILGal" wrote in
message ...