Word 2007 Equation Editor

Old June 11th 06, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2007 Equation Editor

In the old version of equation editor (v. 3.0), I could have more than one
equation in a box, and then line them up by the '=' sign. I've tried to do
that in the new editor, but I can't find any way to do this. How can it be
done?
Old June 11th 06, 08:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you have the equations following one another with only a end of paragraph
mark () separating them so that you can select them all and nothing else,
then you right click, there is an item on the right click menu for aligning
the equations at the = sign.

Invoking this feature results in the paragraph mark after the first equation
being replace by a new line character and the resulting single paragraph is
formatted as "justified"

Funny things start to happen if you then try to insert additional line
breaks between the equations to add some text in between.

Note however, that under the "Text" chunk on the Insert tab, you can select
OLE Object (the bottom right hand icon in the chunk) and via that, you can
insert a Microsoft Equation 3.0 object. That may allow you to retain the
old functionality.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Old June 12th 06, 10:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Doug,

Thanks very much, I see it now.

Also, I have discovered by typing '\eqarray' and space, you can format
equations with ='s signs lining up similar to how you would with LaTeX.
(These latex-style auto completes are a really good idea!). Also, while there
seemed to be a limitation on size of matrices, I have found this can be
overcome by typing the equations in 'linear' mode, and then switching back to
professional viewing.

Old June 13th 06, 03:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I have a somewhat related question:

The equation editor appears to be unavailable for me. That is, the icon is
there under the Insert -- Symbols menue, but is not clickable. Meanwhile the
Symbol icon is clickable.

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Max

Old June 13th 06, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Umm... nevermind. I just found this discussion:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...=en-us&m=1&p=1

Going into the Add/Remove Programs dialogue solves the problem.

Thanks!