how do I type a thin space in Word?

Old June 16th 06, 09:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default how do I type a thin space in Word?

I need to be able to type a thin space in the expression '37 C',
between the number and the degrees symbol. How do I achieve this in
Word? I've scoured Word Help to no avail, and I found no reference to
it when I searched this forum.

Thank you.

--
wavedancer
Old June 16th 06, 12:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I guess you are referring to a nonbreaking space? To insert one, press
Ctrl+Shift+SpaceBar.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

. ..

Old June 16th 06, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Greetings--
You have to insert it as a Unicode character:
Unicode Character 'THIN SPACE' (U+2009)
Have a look at the following pages:
http://www.fileformat.info/info/unic...2009/index.htm
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/chars/spaces.html
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...pec/spaces.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_character
--
Cheers
Robert

Old June 16th 06, 02:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you're referring to a true typesetting thin space (1/8-em), the straight
answer is No, not in Word.

The best you can get in Word is a 1/4-em - go to InsertSymbol, click the
Special Characters tab & insert it from there. If you need to use it with
any frequency you can assign a keystroke to it while you're there.

If you need anything tighter than that you'll have to select the 2
characters and use FormatFontCharacter Spacing - Spacing: to tighten them
up by 10ths of a point. That will give you the effect you want, but it is
still guesswork unless you measure out the type specs to determine how much
of an adjustment to make.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

Old June 16th 06, 04:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As Robert indicates, the Unicode character set includes a thin space (and
also a hair space), but Arial Unicode MS and Lucida Sans Unicode are the
only fonts most users are likely to have that contain these characters (at
U2009 and U200A, respectively)

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
[...]

"wavedancer" wrote in

message
. ..

Old June 16th 06, 08:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thank you, Bob. I'm using Word 2004 for Mac and there's no 1/4-em in my
Special Characters list...

It's not critical how small the space is: I just need to be able to
differentiate between that and the usual space so that the person doing
the typesetting can see what's wanted. It looks as if my best bet would
probably be to give a blanket instruction and leave it at that. I used
to work with hard copy and then it was easier to indicate.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Helen

----------

CyberTaz Wrote:
If you're referring to a true typesetting thin space (1/8-em), the
straight
answer is No, not in Word.

The best you can get in Word is a 1/4-em - go to InsertSymbol, click
the
Special Characters tab & insert it from there. If you need to use it
with
any frequency you can assign a keystroke to it while you're there.

If you need anything tighter than that you'll have to select the 2
characters and use FormatFontCharacter Spacing - Spacing: to tighten
them
up by 10ths of a point.

HTH |
Bob Jones