Word 2003: Problems with linked images

Old June 26th 06, 10:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Word 2003: Problems with linked images

Hi,

Can anyone tell me why Word 2003 is causing the linked images in my docs to
go from a relative link into UNC and on top of that, the images are not
printing out. The images actually become a red 'x' in the picture
placeholder.

Any solutions to making the links stick and stay as relative links would be
most welcomed.

Thanks.
Old June 26th 06, 10:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It sounds like the image files the doc is [was] linked to have either been
renamed or moved to a different location than what/where they were when the
links were created. That would explain the red x - meaning "No file by the
name I've been given is located in the place I was told to look". I don't
know what your definition of "relative link" is, but if the target isn't
where it is supposed to be the doc file isn't going to try & track it down.
OTOH, as long as the targets are not tampered with you can move the Word doc
to another location & it will be able to maintain the link.

If the target files have not been moved or renamed, please provide a bit
more detail on what is happening as opposed to what you expect.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

Old June 27th 06, 02:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi CyberTaz,

Thanks for that reply and I guess I should try and clarify the situation a
bit more.

The files containing linkts to images are template files used to generate a
whole host of other files. The pictures are not moved nor are the template
files moved. The system setup is such that both the template files and the
pictures are copied over to the local servers at different locations.

The links in the template files point to the locally mapped network drive
where the picture files are stored. The network mappings are replicated on
the local servers at the individual locations. All the pictures in the
template files are referred to by relative links (ie. on a mapped drive say
T:\PictureFolder\Pic01.jpg etc.)

When the document files are created from the template file, the pictures
appear as per normal until the user prints the file. And that is when the
pictures all become a red 'X' in a picture placeholder. Also, by taking a
look at the links by viewing the field codes reveals that the links have now
become an absolute UNC filepath instead. (ie.
\\x.x.x.x\shared_folder_name\PictureFolder\Pic01.j pg)

Now how does Word actually do that? Converting a relative mapped filepath
into an absolute UNC filepath automatically by itself? Is there a way to
disable that as it is very frustrating!

Thanks again for any information/solution/advice available.