How do I get consecutive page numbers in all sections of a Word do

Old June 29th 06, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I get consecutive page numbers in all sections of a Word do

I am creating a manual that has different sections that are not sequential.
1, 2, 10 11, 12, 16 etc. I have tried to make the footers all "same as
previous section", but when I put in a auto page number reference in the
first section the numbering does not follow into the next section.

Other non changeable areas do continue throughout the footers for the
document.

Thanks,

John
Old June 29th 06, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On the "header/footer" toolbar that you get when you double click in the
footer, click on the "format page number" button. Then click the button that
says "continue from previous section". That'll do ya.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

Old June 29th 06, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do I get consecutive page numbers in all sections of a Wor

Thanks for the reply. I have gone to the "format page number" button and
changed all but the first section to "continue from the previous section"
button and I still have the page numbers that start over after about one
fourth of the way in the document.

Thanks,

John

Old June 29th 06, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'd be willing to bet that where the numbers start back at one, you have a
section break just prior. Look at the bottom left of the screen. You'll see
"Page X Section X X/XXX" Where X is any number. As you scroll through the
doc and pass a section break, the section number will change. Check your
"continue from..." setting on first page after the break. Have the "show
all" function on so you can see the section breaks also.
--
Jim Hull
Technical Writer

Old June 29th 06, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks, Jim!

You were correct, there was a mid page section brake that did not have an
easily accessible page break to link to the previous section.

Thanks again for all the help!

Tall John

Old June 29th 06, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Jim suggests, you undoubtedly missed a section, probably because it's a
Continuous section in the middle of a page. Either insert a temporary page
break in that section to make the footer accessible, or, with the insertion
point in the troublesome section, use Insert | Page Numbers | Format...
Click OK to close the Format Page Number dialog, but be careful to click
Close instead of OK to close the Page Numbers dialog so you don't insert a
new page number.

"Tall John" wrote:

I am creating a manual that has different sections that are not

sequential.
1, 2, 10 11, 12, 16 etc. I have tried to make the footers all "same

as
previous section", but when I put in a auto page number reference in

the
first section the numbering does not follow into the next section.

Other non changeable areas do continue throughout the footers for the
document.

Thanks,

John

Converting WordPerfect 12 files to Word 2003 Curious New Users 3 March 29th 06 01:05 AM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Page Numbers Print { PAGE } in Footer in WORD even after ALT + F9 Brent Microsoft Word Help 3 June 2nd 05 05:35 PM