Can I use Word to send email through Novell GroupWise?

Old July 12th 06, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
demented_pants

Default Can I use Word to send email through Novell GroupWise?

I'm working on doing mass e-mailings at work, and we'd like to be able to do
it through word using merge fields from our database (also not a microsoft
product). I have everything up through the sending part all taken care of,
but for some reason my emails won't send when I try testing them with my own
email address.

Alternately, can I configure outlook express to send email from an account
that isn't password protected? It keeps asking for a password.
Old July 12th 06, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I don't have GroupWise here (I tried to set up a GroupWise testbed a couple
of years ago to find out how if it could work with MailMerge but ran out of
steam) but
a. Word needs to use the MAPI standard interface to send e-mails.
b. I believe GroupWise is still MAPI-compliant
c. if so, in theory, it should be possible to make this work.

However,
d. you may need to make configuration options in GroupWise (e.g. in a
settings dialog somewhere) to enable MAPI

(I looked at the GroupWise Knowledgebase on the Novell site and someone has
reported an error titled

"Unable to send html documents in Groupwise using MS Word 2003"

While this may seem rather negative it does suggest to me that it is
normally possible to merge from Word to GroupWise)

So...
I would start by
a. ensuring that GroupWise is your default e-mail client program (e.e. if
you are using IE, look in Tools|Internet Options|Programs)
b. looking through GroupWise configuration options for MAPI suppor
and see where that leads. If you do find the answer, please post back here.

Peter Jamieson