Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

Default Text in Word 2003 Header won't show in TOC - how do I fix this?

I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC - so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header! thanks for
any help/suggestions!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There is no way to include text in headers (or footers) in a table of
contents. Even if it was possible, what page number should be assigned
to it, given the fact that a header is usually displayed on multiple
pages?

To solve this problem, you have two options:

1. Leave your headings in the header and then add TC fields to the
body of your document and build your TOC on those fields.

Or:

2. Move the headings into the main body of the document. If you want
the current heading to be displayed in the header, insert a STYLEREF
field in the header.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -

so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none

of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get

around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!

thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

What on earth are you doing, putting headings in your headers? Of course
they don't show up in the TOC: since headers (by definition) repeat on each
page, what page number do you expect to see in the TOC?

Format you document properly, with the headings in the *body* of the
document, and your TOC will work just fine.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC - so far
the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get around
this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header! thanks
for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

Thanks Jezebel - easy to see you don't work with Word in the corporate world!
Headings go in the Header to ensure that they follow over the page when that
section does; a section break is then added with a new header for the
following section - otherwise you have to manually add the new header every
time the text continues onto the next page. thanks for responding, shame it
wasn't a useful or commercial response!

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC - so far
the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get around
this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header! thanks
for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

thank you Stefan - guess I'll have to work around it somehow - will try your
suggestions.

The page number would be the page number of the first page in that section,
as each section has its own header deliberately to ensure that text that
rolls over more than one page maintains the same heading.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -

so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none

of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get

around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!

thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

I work exclusively in the corporate world. And in a lot of years of doing so
I've never met such foollsihness as this.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC - so
far
the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none of
the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get around
this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks
for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No they don't! Headers go in the header. Headings go in the text. Only items
in the text view will be seen by the TOC. The header itself is a transient
entity that is determined by a number of issue including page layout
settings and section breaks. If you want to repeat the headings in the
header you need a styleref field in the header . You don't need really need
the section breaks at all.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC
- so far
the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and
none of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks
for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is why you use the StyleRef field; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm. It sounds as if you're
already having to insert section breaks (to make the headers different), so
in this instance, enable "Different first page" (Layout tab of Page Setup),
then leave the heading out of the First Page Header and use a StyleRef field
in the Header. You will then be able to leave your Headers linked, and they
will change automatically in each section.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -

so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none

of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get

around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!

thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

thank you - I shall try to understand the use of styleref so that it will
work - unfortunately, these are landscape Word documents with tables in so we
need the Headers to use for the Headings to repeat on each page and the
people who will be creating and editing the documents have no idea how to use
field codes etc so I have to then also make it user friendly. I am
struggling to understand why header text isn't included within the TOC
entries, given that, particularly in landscape documents, you wouldn't put
repeating headings anywhere else but then I guess that's one for Microsoft.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -
so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none
of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You are not going to be able to create workable documents putting headings
in headers! God knows where you got this idea from, but it is just mistaken.
Look at any of the Word tutorials anywhere, download some Word documents
from anywhere, or go to your local bookshop and look at any of the guides.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is why you use the StyleRef field; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm. It sounds as if you're
already having to insert section breaks (to make the headers different),
so
in this instance, enable "Different first page" (Layout tab of Page
Setup),
then leave the heading out of the First Page Header and use a StyleRef
field
in the Header. You will then be able to leave your Headers linked, and
they
will change automatically in each section.

so
all may benefit.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -
so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none
of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You repeat the table headings on each page by selecting the heading row(s)
and clicking Table | Heading Rows Repeat.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This is why you use the StyleRef field; see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm. It sounds as if you're
already having to insert section breaks (to make the headers different),

so
in this instance, enable "Different first page" (Layout tab of Page

Setup),
then leave the heading out of the First Page Header and use a StyleRef

field
in the Header. You will then be able to leave your Headers linked, and

they
will change automatically in each section.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -
so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none
of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

that is not the heading I need to repeat - I know how to do that. If it were
PowerPoint, it would be in the "Title" box on each page, repeated as
necessary over the number of slides. This is the same principle but in Word.
thanks anyway

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -
so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none
of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, we've already told you how to repeat the "title" heading using
StyleRef, but if you insist on trying to make Word work in a way it wasn't
designed to work, then you will have to deal with the consequences.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my

TOC -
so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and

none
of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I

get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the

Header!
thanks for
any help/suggestions!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, it's not. PowerPoint works on *very* different principles than
Word. Dealing with Word would be easier all around if you recognized that,
I think.

Word does not consider anything in the Header a "title". Word is designed
to consider the headers subsidiary to the main body of the text. That's the
way it's designed, and no one on these groups can change it in time to fix
your problem, so you'll need to accept one or another of the workarounds, or
find your own.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
I need to use the text in the Headers in Word to generate my TOC -
so far the
automated system is not picking up the text in the Header and none
of the
commands to mark the text work within the Header. How do I get
around this,
as all our Word documents contain the headings within the Header!
thanks for
any help/suggestions!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"DMF2006" wrote in message
thank you - I shall try to understand the use of styleref so that it

will
work - unfortunately, these are landscape Word documents with tables

in so we
need the Headers to use for the Headings to repeat on each page and

the
people who will be creating and editing the documents have no idea

how to use
field codes etc so I have to then also make it user friendly.

Make it user-friendly by setting up a template, where the fields have
already been inserted.

If you need assistance, see the following articles:

Creating a Template – The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart2.htm

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Headers (and footers) are for repeating text and page numbers. See the
following article:

Using Headers and Footers
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

--