How to get rid of frames, but keep the text in the same place? - scanned document

Old September 7th 06, 06:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,comp.text.frame

Default How to get rid of frames, but keep the text in the same place? - scanned document

Hi,

Problems with a scanned document being created with unwanted/unusable
frames... And trying to edit it in Microsoft Word 2000.

How do I get rid of frames in a document, but leave the text (and
spaces) exactly where they are on the page? If the frames were
tables, I could just select the option to convert the table to text. I
have never ran into frames like this before - except on .html
documents - with this ISN'T.

I scanned a document with my HP6100. If I save it as text, it
completely looses the formatting, and puts some of the text on
non-sequential lines. If I save it as RTF, it keeps the format, but
puts everything in frames - various sized rectangulare frames all over
the page. I loaded the .rtf in MS Word 2000. The only other option is
..pdf - but I don't have sofware to edit a .pdf.

The problem is the HP OCR software decided the text was two different
font sizes (it isn't). If I select text within a frame to change the
font, the larger text doesn't fit in the boundary and some of it moves
to the next line, and the frame grows larger. The margins within the
frame actually need widened, but I can't figure out how to do that -
and even if I did, there are about 20 different frames on the page -
and there will be many pages.

I just need to be able to get rid of the frames and keep the text -
where it is.

*** I just want spaces, letters, numbers, and line feeds - with no
other formatting. Sounds simple, but the HP OCR software won't output
it that way.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old September 7th 06, 09:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,comp.text.frame
Cindy M.

Problems with a scanned document being created with unwanted/unusable
frames... And trying to edit it in Microsoft Word 2000.

How do I get rid of frames in a document, but leave the text (and
spaces) exactly where they are on the page? If the frames were
tables, I could just select the option to convert the table to text. I
have never ran into frames like this before - except on .html
documents - with this ISN'T.

There is no way to remove the frames and keep the text where you see it.
If you right click the frame, choose the Format entry, you can remove
the frame... But the text will go to where ever the frame is "anchored".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Old September 7th 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,comp.text.frame

Select the entire document and press Ctrl+Q (ResetPara). Assuming that the
frame is not part of the paragraph style, this will remove the frame. It
will also, however, remove any other direct paragraph formatting, and, as
Cindy points out, the text in the frame will be inserted above the paragraph
to which it is anchored, which will be chancy.

If you want to remove the frames as she suggests, you can double-click one
frame border to open the Frame dialog, select Remove Frame, then select the
next frame and press F4 (Repeat), continuing till all the frames have been
removed.