Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DMF2006 DMF2006 is offline

Default Headings in Word Headers should be able to be entries in a TOC

Having had this problem myself and seen that other people have posted the
same questions ie why won't my headings located in a Word header pull through
as an entry in a TOC, I think this is a functionality that should be added to
Word. It would be incredibly useful as a considerable number of users find
the Headers useful for Headings covering several pages. Against the issue of
page numbering, the headers change with each section, therefore the page
number would only need to reference the first page of each new section to be
correct.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This would seem a bit unorthodox. Normally one would want the header
once on the page (for inclusion in the TOC).

However, it is still possible to have the current heading repeated on
each page: just add a STYLEREF field to the header. To exclude the
header from the first page where it appears, just insert section
breaks and enable the "Different first page" option in Page Setup.
(This is a common format for books.)

If you still insist on using headers for headings, you can insert a TC
field to create a table of contents entry, and build the table of
contents on those fields.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"DMF2006" wrote in message
Having had this problem myself and seen that other people have

posted the
same questions ie why won't my headings located in a Word header

pull through
as an entry in a TOC, I think this is a functionality that should be

added to
Word. It would be incredibly useful as a considerable number of

users find
the Headers useful for Headings covering several pages. Against the

issue of
page numbering, the headers change with each section, therefore the

page
number would only need to reference the first page of each new

section to be
correct.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Hmm, I have replied to questions on headings and headers in another
thread; I didn't realize that it was the same poster, though. (I guess
this is another good reason for people to use their real names when
asking/suggesting!)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You're coming late to the party, Stefan. The OP has already

categorically
rejected StyleRef fields (apparently without trying them) in another

thread.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"DMF2006" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

True.

--
[...]

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.