how to get rid of manual line breaks?

Old September 7th 06, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
memsahib

Default how to get rid of manual line breaks?

Hi. I converted a large PubMed search to text then copied & pasted the
results into Word. The document ended up being 256 pages long, but only
because there are manual line breaks rather than text wrap, and the line
breaks are stopping each line at about 4 inches from the left margin.

I can SEE the line breaks by revealling the formatting but I can't get RID
of them except by manually deleting each one... I will die of old age, and I
bet I'll be glad to do so because I'll have carpal tunnel for sure after
this.

~M
Old September 7th 06, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale

Search and replace. Click on the More button and select Manual line break
from the Special menu. You can type a space in the Replace with box or leave
it blank if spaces are already included. Hit Replace All and job's done!
--
Rae Drysdale

Old September 8th 06, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
memsahib

Perfecto-munod, and thank you so much. I had alurking feeling that I was
forgetting something...I actually have done similar replacements before, but
never with formatting code. M.

Old September 8th 06, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
memsahib

Thank you--I shall save this link. I'm in Alabama, too, a War Eagle
transplant doing research in Roll Tide / Go Blazers territory. Thanks again.

Old September 8th 06, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
memsahib

Default tried this and didn't work

The paragraph sumbol is showing up when I reveal codes, but that nor anything
else (manual line breaks, etc) are being found in a find-and-replace
operation. In other words, Word is finding zero cases of this. I have made
sure I have my cursor "on" the page, btw.

This sounded so right...
Old September 8th 06, 02:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Make sure you don't have some formatting applied. Look below the "Find what"
box to make sure it doesn't say "Format: [something]." If it does, click the
No Formatting button.

Old February 17th 07, 06:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnJohn

Actually, under the special button, I had to find "paragraph mark," then I
could do a search and replace with a space. However, there is a problem if
you want to remove the paragraph breaks at the end of each line, but not the
last paragraph break of several lines together. Anyone know how to remove all
but the last paragraph mark in a bunch of lines of a paragraph that does't go
clear across the page - automatically?
Thanks, John

Old February 17th 07, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnJohn

Thanks Suzanne. Can you tell me more about the "Clean Up Text" program. I
downloaded it, but what about installing it? What version of word? I've got
Word 2000 and Windows XP. And what is an Add-in?
Thanks, John

Line Breaks SJT Microsoft Word Help 2 July 17th 06 11:37 PM
Removeing Manual Line Breaks using the replace in word Bruce Wightman Microsoft Word Help 2 May 14th 06 06:29 PM
Word - to make the final line of a paragraph a different allignmen LGFN Page Layout 8 May 9th 06 11:57 PM
remove manual line breaks at the end of each line of txt Kimber Microsoft Word Help 3 March 7th 06 04:49 PM
printed text line breaks are different from what is on my screen Doris Microsoft Word Help 1 January 19th 06 05:33 PM