Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
D Wilson D Wilson is offline

Default "Page Setup" not working

I can't change margins. Page in Microsoft said to clean up "Normal.dot." I
don't have Normal.dot in any file or folder. I found Normal and ~$Normal. I
run Windows Professional and have Microsoft Office Professional 2003 and
Normal.dot is supposed to be a hidden folder anyway and the above parts
weren't. I can't close a word doc. I have to constantly clear the settings
for columns (I don't create them, it just defaults to columns). This is why
I get the error message, "Settings you have chosen for left and right
margins, column spacing, or paragraph indents are too large for the page
width in some sections." Sometimes it blames my printer settings or printer
driver but my old Microsoft Office 2000 had no problems. In installed Office
2003 a couple of weeks ago. Should I do it again? Is the data corrupt?
Thank you!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Normal" is Normal.dot; you just don't have file extensions displayed. The
fact that you also see ~$Normal indicates that Word is open (that's the
"owner" file). You need to close Word before you can rename Normal.dot. But
you may not need to rename it, just edit it. What you need to do is open
Normal.dot (just as you would open a document), then go to Format | Columns
and click on the preset picture labeled One, then click OK. This will solve
all the problems you're experiencing. For instructions on finding and
opening Normal.dot (though it looks like you've got that figured out), see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...ocNotBlank.htm.