How do I insert a hard tab?

Old October 4th 06, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Perfect to Word

Default How do I insert a hard tab?

I used to be a Word Perfect user....The function key I used then for a hard
tab was Alt-f7. All the text following this hard tab would automatically
indent to the same tab setting until I hard returned. I need a place to ask
these simple questions that really irritate you when you are trying to learn
a new program...

Old October 4th 06, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rae Drysdale

If you are wanting to inset text, there are various ways to do this. One is
to use the Format | Paragraph menu and select the amount of the inset. There
are also buttons on the ruler to indent and decrease indent. If you want a
keyboard method, hold down the Ctrl key and strike the M key (you can do this
more than once for larger indents). Does this help?
--
Rae Drysdale

Old October 5th 06, 12:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Perfect to Word

Rae,
That works if I just want to set an indent, but I want to set a hard tab
that goes away when I do a return to start a new paragraph. It looks like
I'll just have to do a few more keystokes while I'm formatting my documents...
Thank you for your quick response.

Old October 5th 06, 06:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Create a paragraph style with a first line indent.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old October 5th 06, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

Hi there,

Not sure which version of WordPerfect you used, but in WP 12 Alt + F7 gives
you flush right. If, instead, you are referring to Ctrl + F7, that gives you
a hard tab which is MS Word speak is a hanging indent.

You can either click on Format (or highlight the paragraph and right-click
and select paragraph) and paragraph and under indentation, where it says
Special select Hanging. You can select the size of the indentation there.

I think there is a "quick key" you can use as well which is Ctrl + T. I
hope this has been helpful to you.
You can also just move the ruler on your toolbar (the triangle) to the place
where you want your hanging indent to begin.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP