How to extract email addresses from a word document or htm web page?

Old November 8th 06, 05:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to extract email addresses from a word document or htm web page?

Hello,
I'm in trouble because I'm trying to find the way to extract some
e-mail addresses that are in a .doc document I have that I also have in
txt format or .htm format
The word document is several pages and he has a lot of e-mail addresses
that I cannot just copy and past with the search tool because they are
too much.
How do I do to extract all the email addresses from the word document?
Thanks!

Old November 8th 06, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

The search tool will work fine for this. Use the find routine (CTRL+F) to
find

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

with the wildcards box and the highlight all found entries box checked.
The e-mail addresses will be highlighted.
Close the find dialog. Then copy to the clipboard.
Open a new document and paste.

--

Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

Old November 9th 06, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Graham has given you a wildcard search term that will find all the email
addresses. Did you try the solution he gave you?

1. Use Ctrl+C to copy the search term below:

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

2. Use Ctrl+V to paste it into the "Find what" box in the Find dialog.

3. Click More to display the rest of the dialog; check the boxes for "Use
wildcards" and "Highlight all items found."

4. Find All.

5. Click on the title bar of the document to return the focus to the
document.

6. Press Ctrl+C to copy all the highlighted email addresses.

7. Open a new document and Paste.

ups.com...

Old November 9th 06, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I tried doing like you told me but the only thing I copied and pasted
were the "@" or ".com" but no the rest of the e-mail address.
How do I can do to copy/past all the e-mail addresses?
Thanks

Suzanne S. Barnhill ha scritto:

Graham has given you a wildcard search term that will find all the email
addresses. Did you try the solution he gave you?

1. Use Ctrl+C to copy the search term below:

[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}\@[a-zA-Z0-9\-_.]{1,}

2. Use Ctrl+V to paste it into the "Find what" box in the Find dialog.

3. Click More to display the rest of the dialog; check the boxes for "Use
wildcards" and "Highlight all items found."

4. Find All.

5. Click on the title bar of the document to return the focus to the
document.

6. Press Ctrl+C to copy all the highlighted email addresses.

7. Open a new document and Paste.

ups.com...

Old November 9th 06, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

That's perhaps because you haven't checked the box for "Use wildcards." I
don't know what it would be in Italian, but in my English version of Word,
it is the third of five check boxes for "Search Options," following "Match
case" and "Find whole words only" and preceding "Sounds like (English)" and
"Find all word forms (English." If this is an Italian version, those last
two may well not appear.

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

ups.com...

Old November 10th 06, 09:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I found what the use wildcards option is and I checked it but when I
check it and then I enter for example the "@" than word says it cannot
search for this.
I can only search for "@" without the box checked.

Suzanne S. Barnhill ha scritto:

That's perhaps because you haven't checked the box for "Use wildcards." I
don't know what it would be in Italian, but in my English version of Word,
it is the third of five check boxes for "Search Options," following "Match
case" and "Find whole words only" and preceding "Sounds like (English)" and
"Find all word forms (English." If this is an Italian version, those last
two may well not appear.

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

ups.com...

Old November 10th 06, 10:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Run the following macro when the document containing the email addresses is
the active document
Macro to extract all of the email addresses from a document
Sub CopyAddressesToOtherDoc()

Dim Source As Document, Target As Document, myRange As Range
Set Source = ActiveDocument
Set Target = Documents.Add
Source.Activate
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdStory
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
Do While .Execute(findText:="[+0-9A-z._-]{1,}\@[A-z.]{1,}", _
MatchWildcards:=True, Wrap:=wdFindStop, Forward:=True) = True
Set myRange = Selection.Range
Target.Range.InsertAfter myRange & vbCr
Loop
End With