Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Apply a filter in a Word table to view certain records

I think the closest you can come to a filter function without making any VBA
programming is to use the sort functionality in Table Sort.

You do not need to select the entire table before sorting. Just click
anywhere in the table to position the insertion marker before you select
Table Sort.

When you want to find, e.g., all items assigned to a certain person, sort on
the column that contains the name/initials/ID information, sort by *text*.
All rows will still be there but the items will be grouped according to your
sort criteria.

If you need to be able to return to a certain order of your table rows, you
could add a column, e.g. to the left in the table, and enter sequential
numbers (use 1, 2, 3, etc.) in that column. The numbers need to be normal
text, not fields that would be changed if you change the row order and update
fields. When you want to return to your original row order, sort by that
numbered column, sort by *number* (if you sort by text, 11 would come before
2, etc.).

In order to make it faster to change the sort order, you could assign a
keyboard shortcut to the Sort command. See Word help on €śAssign or remove a
shortcut key€ť if needed (in the Customize Keyboard dialog box, select €śTable€ť
in the Categories list, select €śTableSort€ť in the Commands list).

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Ferdie" wrote:

I want to use a Word table for status tracking of agenda items during
follow-up meetings. Each item is assigned to a specific person/code. I want
to know if I can in this table have a feature such as the Auto filter feature
in Excel or an Access table.

Reason for not using Excel - cannot bullet items in a single cell.
Using Office 2003.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Apply a filter in a Word table to view certain records

Hi there!

Yes, you can apply a filter in a Word table to view certain records. While Word doesn't have an AutoFilter feature like Excel or Access, you can still achieve similar results using the Sort function.

Here's how you can do it:
  1. Click anywhere in the table to position the insertion marker before you select Table Sort.
  2. In the Sort dialog box, select the column that contains the name/initials/ID information you want to filter by.
  3. Choose "Text" as the type of sorting.
  4. Click OK.

All rows will still be there, but the items will be grouped according to your sort criteria. For example, if you want to find all items assigned to a certain person, you can sort by the column that contains the person's name, and all items assigned to that person will be grouped together.

If you need to be able to return to a certain order of your table rows, you can add a column to the left of the table and enter sequential numbers (use 1, 2, 3, etc.) in that column. The numbers need to be normal text, not fields that would be changed if you change the row order and update fields. When you want to return to your original row order, sort by that numbered column, sort by *number* (if you sort by text, 11 would come before 2, etc.).

To make it faster to change the sort order, you can assign a keyboard shortcut to the Sort command. You can do this by going to the Customize Keyboard dialog box and selecting "Table" in the Categories list, then selecting "TableSort" in the Commands list.

PHP Code:
// No macro or Visual Basic code found
Christopher Rath Christopher Rath is offline
Junior Member

I realize that I'm replying to a very old message, but I wanted to alert anyone encountering this old thread that I recently wrote a basic AutoFilter for MS Word Add-In. The add-in can be found at http://rath.ca/Misc/VBA/VBA_Word.html

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 07:26 PM
Word applies direct format on File open Uriel Microsoft Word Help 16 November 27th 05 08:22 PM