Extra Spaces in my Mail Merge

Old December 6th 06, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DanaFox

Default Extra Spaces in my Mail Merge

Hi All

Not sure if this question is an excel questions or a word question so I am
starting here.

A person in my company is trying to do a mail merge for letters. The data
is in Excel. They have the following headings: CompanyName, LastName,
FirstName, Prefix, Address, City, State, ZipCode.

They set up the address block as follows:

Prefix, FirstName, LastName
CompanyName
Address
City, State, ZipCode

Greeting Line

Prefix, First Name, LastName

When the merge is complete, sometimes there are extra spaces between the
prefix and the first name (e.g. Mr. Tim Brown) or an extra space between
the first name and last name (e.g. Mr. Tim Brown, etc) in either the
address box or the greeting line.

Does anyone know how to correct this? Is this a word issue or an excel
issue? I know they can always manually go in and fix each letter and delete
the extra spaces but sometimes, they have over 300 letters and frankly, it
would just take too much time so they have come to me for a quick fix.

In Excel, they have made sure there are no extra spaces in the columns, put
all the data to the left, etc.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

DanaFox (Gosh I miss the X-Files)
Old December 6th 06, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If it does not happen with all records, then I would suggest that it is a
problem with the data in Excel. You can use EditReplace in Excel to
replace every occurence of two consecutive spaces with a single space. You
may need to run the Replace multiple times if there is more than two spaces
in some of the data.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.