Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jen Jen is offline

Default AutoCorrect: all replaced with (

I almost never go into thye AutoCorrect dialog box (certainly haven't
recently), but I do use some of the defaults there - such as replacing "--"
with an arrow.

A week or two ago, the AutoCorrect stopped working - everything that used to
AutoCorrect now gets changed to an open parenthesis. So, if I type -- it
becomes (. It's been bugging me, but not a huge deal...so I finally went in
today and took a look, and lo and behold, all the AutoCorrect defaults are
set to the parenthesis.

Anyone have any idea how I might have done this, seeing as how I haven't
opened this dialog box in ages? And, is there a way to restore the defaults?
I can't see any possibility to change them, so it looks like my only option
is to delete each one then manually re-add it (and since many of them convert
to symbols, this would be a huge pain). Is there an easier way?

(I'll also mention, although I guess it's probably unrelated, that I've been
having this problem with other Word features - things just seem to turn off
and I can't get them back. I've used Word for years and have never had this
problem on another computer. I work on a laptop, with Office XP, but I don't
type on my laptop - I have a keyboard plugged in instead - so it's not a
matter of hitting the track pad. It's really driving me crazy. The other
feature I've lost, that I can think of off the top of my head, is one I've
posted about before with no resolution - I used to be able to double-click on
the table selector at the top left corner of a table to select the entire
table. Now, double-clicking on the table selector actually selects the
previous paragraph - argh! In whose world would THAT be a useful feature?)

TIA for any advice you can provide (and thanks for allowing me a mini-rant)...
Jen