Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jallen jallen is offline

Default Merge only if data exists from Access to Word

I would like to know how to merge from Access into a table in Word and that
only rows that had results would show. For example if you had a several
headed rows but on merge only a couple had results then the blank rows would
not show.

I have seen that this can be done when using a data source in Sims.net
called Assessment Manager into Word but I would like to create such a
document for myself from Access to Word thereby avoiding un-necessary blank
rows where results do not exist.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use a SKIPIF field to test for content in one of the fields in the record
which may be empty.
Use a conditional field to test for content in individual fields within a
record.
eg
{Mergefield Fieldname1}{IF {Mergefield Fieldname2} "" "
{Mergefield Fieldname2}"}

jallen wrote:
I would like to know how to merge from Access into a table in Word
and that only rows that had results would show. For example if you
had a several headed rows but on merge only a couple had results then
the blank rows would not show.

I have seen that this can be done when using a data source in Sims.net
called Assessment Manager into Word but I would like to create such a
document for myself from Access to Word thereby avoiding un-necessary
blank rows where results do not exist.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jallen jallen is offline

We found the SKIPIF left a blank line and then carried on underneath thereby
not carrying on continuously with the data to be displayed.

I think that the answer lies specifically in a table in Word and that there
must be advanced code that could get the row to display only if a result was
present otherwise carries on immediately to the next row.

Regards

jallen wrote:
I would like to know how to merge from Access into a table in Word
and that only rows that had results would show. For example if you
had a several headed rows but on merge only a couple had results then
the blank rows would not show.

I have seen that this can be done when using a data source in Sims.net
called Assessment Manager into Word but I would like to create such a
document for myself from Access to Word thereby avoiding un-necessary
blank rows where results do not exist.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Why not use a Query in Access to filter out the unwanted records and then
use that Query as the data source for the mail merge?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

jallen wrote:
I would like to know how to merge from Access into a table in Word
and that only rows that had results would show. For example if you
had a several headed rows but on merge only a couple had results then
the blank rows would not show.

I have seen that this can be done when using a data source in Sims.net
called Assessment Manager into Word but I would like to create such a
document for myself from Access to Word thereby avoiding un-necessary
blank rows where results do not exist.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
jallen jallen is offline

The query would not work as the data changes for each recipient and that is
why I need it to ignore a field if not data exists for that field, but that
would not be the same for each recipient of the merged document.

Thanks for the reply though and any more thoughts from anyone would be of
great help.

jallen wrote:
I would like to know how to merge from Access into a table in Word
and that only rows that had results would show. For example if you
had a several headed rows but on merge only a couple had results then
the blank rows would not show.

I have seen that this can be done when using a data source in Sims.net
called Assessment Manager into Word but I would like to create such a
document for myself from Access to Word thereby avoiding un-necessary
blank rows where results do not exist.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In that case, I would do it all in Access with a Report rather than using
Word as it sounds like you are trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do. However, for ways in which it might be done in Word, see the
"Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP Cindy
Meister's website at:

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article:

jallen wrote:
I would like to know how to merge from Access into a table in Word
and that only rows that had results would show. For example if you
had a several headed rows but on merge only a couple had results
then
the blank rows would not show.

I have seen that this can be done when using a data source in
Sims.net
called Assessment Manager into Word but I would like to create such
document for myself from Access to Word thereby avoiding
un-necessary
blank rows where results do not exist.

Word 2003/Access2000/SQLSVR RSMITH Mailmerge 11 July 19th 06 09:37 AM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Specific Email Merge w/ Specific Attachements Mark B Mailmerge 9 February 21st 05 05:10 AM