Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
efiggy efiggy is offline

Default Word 2007 - Can't permanently remove an image!

Hi all -- before I explain my problem I just want to say that I have tried
searching everywhere here and on Google for a solution and I haven't found
anything...

Anyway, I have Word 2007 installed. I created a document that has a
watermarked image on the bottom-right part of the page. I had used the wrong
file -- the image I selected was HUGE (around 1.0mb, 1980x2478 in dimensions)
when I meant to use the smaller one (around 35kb, 198x248 in dimensions). The
resulting size of the document itself was around 1.2mb.

I deleted the image and saved the document and noticed that the size did NOT
go down. When I placed the smaller file in the document and saved again, the
file went up a few KB. I had a sneaky suspicion that while I deleted the
first (BIG) image, it was still there.

I made a copy of the file and changed the .dotx extension to .zip, unzipped
the package, and sure enough, that BIG image file was in there. Attempts to
replace it with the smaller image or remove all references to the large image
and remove the large image file end in failure -- Word 2007 complains that
the file is corrupt when I zip it back up and rename it back to .dotx.

So now here's my question -- without having to recreate the document, how on
earth do I PERMANENTLY remove an image from the document? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
efiggy efiggy is offline

Ack... Maybe next time I should try a bit harder. Clicking on Page Layout,
Watermark, Remove Watermark permanently removed that image and shrank the
file down to around 24kb.

"efiggy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

What happens if you use Save As?
Are you sure the image is gone on all sections and all pages?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"efiggy" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
efiggy efiggy is offline

Hey Patrick --
I ended up figuring it out about 2 minutes after posting. If I clicked on
Page Layout, Watermark, and Remove Watermark, the image was permanently
removed. The file shrank to around 24kb.

was copied over nonetheless. Highlighting, copying, and pasting only what I
could see on the document STILL copied the image over, even though it didn't
"exist". It's a strange behavior, but no biggie -- I've got it working fine
now. Thanks anyway!